Morris Commercial gallery

Rick W

Early October 1941 - Brothers-in-arms, Australian Army, 19 Brigade, 2/1 Anti-Tank Regiment gun team with 2 pound 'portee' A/T gun on the road to Haifa, during the move to Ras Baalbek Camp, Syria (now Lebanon)
Photograph - 1941

porteemorr.jpg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I have a small collection of these cast brass plates .. this one isn't mine but it is from a CS8 wreck somebody found here. 

These trucks are usually found in terrible shape, the harsh Aust. environment wasn't kind , some of the wrecks have badly rusted out chassis rails and are only good for parts , any wood bits are long gone.  The chassis rails consist of  3/16" plate in a single layer, there is no box/reinforcing or double layers , it is all rather flimsy. Strangely, some of the other parts of the truck are over engineered for a 15 cwt load i.e.  the rear axle and springs are more suited for a 3 ton lorry. 

IMG_20180816_154534.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 12:29 AM, Citroman said:

Old tanker

morrisRAF.jpg

Nice pic !  What a great looking aeroplane .  The Morris-Commercial  looks like a D model from the 1920s era. There is a restored 1927 D 6X4 truck here in South Gippsland. 

Edited by goanna

Driver Morris with his Morris

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C23576

And a scene in Palestine

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C289103

Water wagon

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C1189290

The 0 prefix number plates seen on the vehicles in the Palestine pics are odd . Of interest to me is the first PU wreck that I found many years ago has the number 0 36?0 on the bonnet. 

7720141.jpg

3916911.jpg

3799180.jpg

3799179.jpg

7720142.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 1

Another C4 in Norway .. a barn find many years back. 

Australian relic hiding in the grass- this was broken up and scrapped .... I have a cast brass ID plate from this truck. As the poor thing  was being towed out of its long term parking spot , it literally broke in half, the chassis was so badly corroded. 

C4setesdal001.jpg

C4setesdal03.jpg

CS8-6.jpg

Edited by goanna
  • Like 2

A interesting film from the 1930s. Among other things, it shows Morris 25  6 cyl. engines being assembled on the production line. I had not seen one of these 25 engines with a external V belt drive for the generator, the military version of the 25 engine, as fitted to CS8 trucks, has a internal duplex chain drive setup for the generator. And, a cork clutch is seen in the film. 

Those 32 long drills drilling out the 6mm side cover holes in the one step, it is amazing how they did that..... 

Morris-block.jpg

Morris-block2.jpg

Morris-block3.jpg

Morris-block5.jpg

Edited by goanna