Barn in the USA (with apologies to Bruce Springsteen)

OK. I must admit that it was the contents of the shed that were of most interest, although i have got to say that it is great shed.

Now take a look at this shed and go green with envy(Photos provided with many thanks by John Van Den Eynde).

HPIM1322.jpg

HPIM1305.jpg

HPIM1309.jpg

HPIM1315.jpg

Tim (too)

You may remember this Mitchell built FWD from a previous posting. One i would think by the look of was not stored in a barn. In fact up to is axles in a muddy river judging by the state of it.

It disappeared off E Bay before the end of the auction and fell into the hands of a person who (rather niavely) thought he had found something very rare and valuable. To compensate for his error he took the engine out (the best part of the truck) and sold that off to a Stutz Bearcat owner. He then welded the engine access covers in place and has now sold the remains to a Canadian buyer who intends to restore it back to its original military configuration. He is called Tim (too), but a different one from this one and i wish him every success with this project.

92a3_12.jpg

9198_12.jpg

a206_12.jpg

9c0b_12.jpg

Off to pastures new!

IMG_0146.jpg

Tim (too)

• 4 months later...

Here are some more. Actually a post war Pierce Arrow, but to a very similar design as the war time one. This was sold as a parts only truck and is now destined for NEw Zealand to mate up with a rolling chassis out there.

X-Aparts1.jpg

X-Aparts3.jpg

X-Aparts4.jpg

Interestingly, all the war time Pierce Arrows that you see in french, British and American Army service are right hand drive, while this one is a left. They must have switched just after the war.

Tim (too)

Collectors of just WW1 trucks? Well i can think of a couple of those, one of which died a few years back. There seem to be more collectors of the same make of truck though. There are two guys i know who have 6 FWD Model B's each. One guy who has three Nash Quads and one chap we met had about 20 Mack AC's.

Lloyd Van Horn had an incredible collection of pre 1930's truck, most of which were restored as circus trucks. But he had so few people come to his museum that he lost interest and sold up. A pity that i never made it to the museum.

There are quite a few surviving WW1 trucks in the USA (mostly Liberty B's) but they all seem to be in the hands of military museums for their "representative WW1 truck" and then it rarely (if ever) goes out.

So, in answer to your question. There are not many.

Tim (too)