Dodge Brakes Problem

Tony Pearson

Hi guys after a bit of advice please

I have re-placed all the wheel cylinders and re-lined all the shoes as most where worn out and the cylinders all had a piston stuck.

However now when im braking the pedel pumps under my feet, i have taked it to the local garage and out it on rolling road but seems spot on when on there it is just when driving on the road.

Will they get better when beded in or could it be somthing else.

any advice will be welcome.

If you need to pump the pedal then there's air in the system. I guess when driving on the road there is enough time between pressing the pedal for any pressure you've built up to dissipate, hence why you need to pump it again to stop. Check everything you've disturbed for leaks, then bleed the system using a pressure bleeder such as the Easybleed or similar. If it's still no good, check the master cylinder. I've had a problem in the past where I changed all the wheel cylinders and had to rebuild the master cylinder (which was working fine) because it wasn't good enough to cope with the new wheel cylinders.

Chris

Know the problem. Adjustment on the shoes gives you top and bottom, is a mares nest to get right. Set by feeler gauges, Then adjust gently from there. If the shoes are new drive a few hundred yards as you would with wet brakes, foot on pedal just to get them settled, then adjust.

Could be oval drums. This would probably show up as good brakes on the brake test rollers, but not on the road.

Richard

I don't know about smaller vehicle brake test rigs Richard, but on trucks the brake test dial needle will oscillate during test, indicating ovality. The examiners are pretty sharp on that.

I don't know about smaller vehicle brake test rigs Richard, but on trucks the brake test dial needle will oscillate during test, indicating ovality. The examiners are pretty sharp on that.

That is quite true on heavy trucks, Tony. We had our own roller test facility which covered anything from Land Rover to Foden Recovery size. Just thinking with light vehicles it might not show. I know those damned L/R 1 tonne (101) would show good on the rollers but behave awful on the road :shake:.

I think the fault is due to ovality of the drums - it is not uncommon on Dodges.

The answer is to have the drums skimmed but that can be a problem firstly finding a shop which has a lathe suitable for Dodge drums - they have a peculiar shape which defies the grip of some chucks - and secondly the drums need to have a certain wall thickness, to allow safe skimming.

Jack

I think the fault is due to ovality of the drums - it is not uncommon on Dodges.

The answer is to have the drums skimmed but that can be a problem firstly finding a shop which has a lathe suitable for Dodge drums - they have a peculiar shape which defies the grip of some chucks - and secondly the drums need to have a certain wall thickness, to allow safe skimming.

hi Jack,

Then once the drums are skimmed the linings have to be reprofiled to suit or thicker linings fitted :(

Richard

The skimming fix also assumes there will be sufficient meat left in the drum walls to cope with some being removed in the process. What that is, I don't know, but if you go down that road, the machinist will look in his books I guess - or maybe someone on the forum can provide the info.

Jack