Scammell Constructor Gallery.

That (BKH 905X)is a pic of the RAF Constructor I bought from Peter. It should be yellow, not orange - typical film processing!!

A funny thing happened when I went to look at it (it had stood for several years). Peter backed his Fiat Allis loader up to it and I put a set of jump leads across the Scammell batteries - then the positive onto the loader battery terminal and the negative I just "touched" momentarily on the towing jaw of the loader out of habit to make sure it was safe to clamp on without a load of sparks.

I got a shock when the bl**dy thing fired up and just sat there ticking sweetly away :shocked: As mentioned in another thread, that Scammell decided it wanted me!! :)

Edited by N.O.S.

Andy, the first grey one is an Oilfields Consructor. The Avonhill pic just shows the Explorer from your earlier pics on the left. No doubt this Explorer will have been saved too :) Oilfields trucks are very rare!

Also it was not my RAF truck next to the Explorer as I had thought.

Have you anymore pics of your Constructor mate ? Any work been done to get her mobile yet ? I just had a look at the previous pics when moving her with the Mountaineer and was thinking how complete she looks ! I know pictures can make em look pretty but what sort of time scale do you think to get her roadworhy? Can't wait to see her as I'm sure it will be a pucker job having seen your last one ! Andy

Have you anymore pics of your Constructor mate ? Any work been done to get her mobile yet?

Erm, err, well, on the conservation side I've just put a better tarpaulin on her (over the heavy old one, so didn't get chance to take body pics for 6x6,).

However when time allows I'll free off a stuck rear brake and get her out for some fresh air and a proper photoshoot - maybe put a couple of batteries on her too? Will let you know. For what it's worth I've already rebuilt the air tanks :-D

so didn't get chance to take body pics for 6x6,).

:-D

To savor the knowledge that one day, sometime in the future, the inner secrets of the body will be revealed is quite enough excitement for me to be going on with.

Here is a picture of KYC 621 D when I owned it this was the first of the RAF constructors built chassis number10571. I sold it to Paul Rhodes who then did a marvelous nut and bolt rebuild, an absolute credit to him. It broke my heart to sell it so Paul must have been gutted !

The 20 tonner was mine for about 3 years. I bought it from Tony Jackson in Coventry, brought it back on suspend tow behind my crusader 35T tractor and a 10/30Ton dummy axle recovery unit. (I will dig out some pictures one day and post). I eventually sold it to Bernie Jones along with a 680 Power Plus engine out of a Mountaneer Dump Truck which had a twisted chassis which I bought from a man called Barry in Derby. I sold the dumptuck chassis cab to Shawtrack owner Jamie in Mansfield as they were still running a Mountaineer dump truck on pond clearance work.

RAF Constructor.jpg

Constructor 20 tonner.jpg

The 20 tonner was mine for about 3 years. I bought it from Tony Jackson in Coventry, brought it back on suspend tow behind my crusader 35T tractor and a 10/30Ton dummy axle recovery unit. (I will dig out some pictures one day and post). I eventually sold it to Bernie Jones along with a 680 Power Plus engine out of a Mountaneer Dump Truck

sc00223a04.jpg

This is the 20 tonner while it was owned by Bernie Jones and after he had fitted the Leyland PP 680. PSU 439 was subsequently sold, by Bernie, to a well known commercial vehicle recovery operator. Does anyone know where it is now ?

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for that, Antar. Can you help with any additional info on the history / ownership of this truck before you acquired her?

Denial is just a stage of becoming an anorak.

Yes,

I bought it of a chap in Kidderminster called Alan who had steam engines. He bought it from a garage in Somerset ? from a man called Mike, all I can recall at the moment.

With regards to Cyprus, the Grey one with PSA on it definately came from there because I know the person who repatriated it, Dave from Staffordshire.

John Riley