Scammell Constructor Gallery.

On the website detailing the ship's log, www.pbs.org/odyssey/odyssey/20001117_log_transcript.html there is a real video link under the title but I cannot play it for some reason. You never know, it might just show them!

Note there should be a _ in the gaps between 17 and log, and between log and trans

There are a couple of what I think are Bedfford QL tippers but no Constructors that I can see, I may of course be wrong :)

• 2 weeks later...
okay, i'm dumb but why is an RAF ?? AN ?? 30 tonner in Bronze green with a BT reg?

I'm pretty sure, but not certain, I saw this Constructor at Paul Rhodes yard about four years ago. Paul told me he restored it himself so, if it is the same one, he would be a good person to ask. I was too preoccupied with other business to ask Paul myself.

I thought he rolled his RAF constructor and then sold it off cheap...see post #7 this thread...

It's true that Paul is one of the few people to have ever looped the loop in a Scammell Constructor but that was with a different one. The Constructor I mentioned seeing at the place where Paul stored his lorries was an immaculate, and very original, bronze green example just like the one pictured at W & P and also shown in post No. 6 of this thread, Reg. No. KYC 621D. The rolled Constructor was red and had been converted to a recovery truck, Reg.No. RSJ 590.

I can't imagine there can be many immaculate bronze green RAF types around so I'm assuming it COULD be the same one. I'm certainly not going to stick my neck out and definitely say it is because I know from past experience that there are persons lurking in the shadows just waiting to pounce should I be wrong.

Taking a wild guess, I could be WRONG, there can't be more than 15 - 20 surviving ex.military Constructors of all types and it seems incredible to me that people like us who are interested in these vehicles don't know where this small number of remaining Constructors are or what state they're in. This is why I suggested earlier on this thread that we might compile a brief register of these few surviving vehicles. Anyone fancy doing this ?

okay, i'm dumb but why is an RAF ?? AN ?? 30 tonner in Bronze green with a BT reg?

Mike, 00BT01 to 49BT99 (which includes this vehicle) cover receipts from other services, so it may well have been painted green and used by the RE or similar.

A little more research reveals: Chassis no is 10571 and originally allocated to 53 Field Sqn (Airfields) 09/03/1966. The ACB was indeed taken over by the RE based at Waterbeach.

The Constructor belongs to Chris Phillips.

Mike

Edited by radiomike7
Additional info.

Mike, 00BT01 to 49BT99 (which includes this vehicle) cover receipts from other services, so it may well have been painted green and used by the RE or similar.

Mike

Thank you for an interesting piece of research.

It should be even easier to find and identify the RAF 30 Tonners, since only 21 were built. Steve guest has one, David Crouch has another..

Chris Philips has the green one, then there's the one Paul Rhodes squashed, one on Cyprus, one in North Wales, the one younggun spotted on eBay, David Crouch's orange recovery truck plus half of one seen at GDSF so, blimey, that only leaves another twelve to find ! Come on, own up, who's got 'em ?

http://ccmv.fotopic.net/c841738_121.html

Edited by 6 X 6

A few more found on net ! Not sure about the last one ? scammell_constructorqgb_gc_1.jpg

Andy, it's truly fantastic the amount of stuff you come up with ! It looks like Steve's Constructor and Graham's MK 3 in the background, I wonder if this 'photo was taken at GDSF. Very unusual looking Scammell, I expect someone will be able to enlighten us.

i dont think its dorset 6x6 those trees in the back ground dont fit the gdsf seanary

Wow, younggun, that's very observant of you. I was so absorbed with looking at the lorries I didn't even notice the trees !

What about Bambury ? Kemble ? It would help if we knew what make of tree they are.

Edited by 6 X 6

Wow, younggun, that's very observant of you. I was so absorbed with looking at the lorries I didn't even notice the trees !

What about Bambury ? Kemble ? It would help if we knew what make of tree they are.

looks like english oak to me :-D