Scammell Constructor Gallery.

Whatever the cause the Constructor is renowned for the greatest number of take-out gearboxes around on the second hand market.. I know that Steve Guest had the gearbox out of his (then MEXE) Constructor at least 20 times. He got so fed up with taking in and out he eventually laft the winch of the Constructor to make it easier.

His present Constructor (ex RAF 30 Ton) smashed up another gearbox at GDSF 2 years ago, and he can't face rebuilding another. (When he bought the Scammell from Geoff Rhodes, Geoff had a genuine new ie never fitted gearbox. Steve tried to buy it in the deal, but Geoff said he had had that meny Constructors through his hands with broken boxes, and had done in a few himself, he wasn't prepared to sell it. He was keeping it in case he ever bought another Constructor, because he knew he would need it eventually.) He turned down £1000 for the gearbox.

Not a pleasant way to go with a Rolls C6TFL 300 BHP engine replacing a Rolls C6 NFL of 175 BHP and keeping the same rad and boiling up every 50 Miles!!!

Reason for installation of C6TFL - not wishing to change gear on hills.

Could this be some of the gearbox problem? :n00b:

:rofl::rofl: He spoke to me about the C6TFL when he tried to buy a 30T tractor radiator with oil cooler from me to give a bit more cooling, but I still fancy it in the hall polished and plumbed into the central heating - a motor-driven original fan would make it a convector radiator, but Mrs. N.O.S. is not yet convinced........

:rofl::rofl: He spoke to me about the C6TFL when he tried to buy a 30T tractor radiator with oil cooler from me to give a bit more cooling, but I still fancy it in the hall polished and plumbed into the central heating - a motor-driven original fan would make it a convector radiator, but Mrs. N.O.S. is not yet convinced........

i love it :-D

i bet u wont see that on grand designs any time soon :cool2:

Edited by younggun

"N.O.S. calling 6 X 6 - under heavy fire, cannot hold line much longer - get back up here URGENT Almost out of ammo - Hurry!"

"Over....."

Sir, I have a different situation to report from this position. My first observation is that it's gone suspiciously quiet. This maybe because certain of our adversaries have realized that a ambush has been laid over the past few posts and have decided to keep their

heads down. With regard to the quality of incoming fire, I am forced to conclude that the only observable remaining straddler has either completely run out of serviceable ammunition or is deploying some sort of feint. I shall move to resolve to situation in our favour under cover of darkness sometime in the early hours of of Tuesday morning.

Edited by 6 X 6

Whatever the cause the Constructor is renowned for the greatest number of take-out gearboxes around on the second hand market.. I know that Steve Guest had the gearbox out of his (then MEXE) Constructor at least 20 times. He got so fed up with taking in and out he eventually laft the winch of the Constructor to make it easier.

His present Constructor (ex RAF 30 Ton) smashed up another gearbox at GDSF 2 years ago, and he can't face rebuilding another. (When he bought the Scammell from Geoff Rhodes, Geoff had a genuine new ie never fitted gearbox. Steve tried to buy it in the deal, but Geoff said he had had that meny Constructors through his hands with broken boxes, and had done in a few himself, he wasn't prepared to sell it. He was keeping it in case he ever bought another Constructor, because he knew he would need it eventually.) He turned down £1000 for the gearbox.

AMBUSH ABORTED DUE TO POOR WEATHER CONDITIONS.

Mike, I would just say that both of the Scammells associated with Steve Guest that you refer to experienced gearbox problems due to factors other than flawed design.

I was interested to learn that even Jeff Rhodes has busted a few Constructor gearboxes in his time.......where will it end ?

AMBUSH ABORTED DUE TO POOR WEATHER CONDITIONS.

Mike, I would just say that both of the Scammells associated with Steve Guest that you refer to experienced gearbox problems due to factors other than flawed design.

I was interested to learn that even Jeff Rhodes has busted a few Constructor gearboxes in his time.......where will it end ?

Now you mention it, Mike Smith bought Geoff's old 20t Constructor (the one with the Explorer crane) and not long after the 'box sounded ike a blacksmiths shop on piecework. I supplied him with the last unused recon we had in stock.

In a recent post you said:

God knows how many Constructor gearboxes have been destroyed owners ignoring the warning drips of oil that indicate the seal between the boxes needs replacing and oil is now migrating into one box leaving the other box bone dry. I mean, Scammells can't talk, oil leaking from the gearbox is it's way of telling you it's not very well. Worn out seal on gearbox connecting shaft, poor design or just wear and tear ?

Now when (if) the oil migrates between the gearbox/transfer box it does exactly that and there are no visible external leaks, or are you suggesting that owners have missed the sound of internal dripping oil? As with Land Rovers, the only way to check is by observing both oil levels.

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

The front diff on classic range rover is tilted up so not parralel with the transfer box.it states in w/shop manual that u/js must not be in line as say in a series vehicle,gave no trouble allthough a very expensive double joint was used at the transfer end on later discoverys,just for interest.

QUOTE:

Now when (if) the oil migrates between the gearbox/transfer box it does exactly that and there are no visible external leaks, or are you suggesting that owners have missed the sound of internal dripping oil? As with Land Rovers, the only way to check is by observing both oil levels.

Interesting point. I know of two different vehicles where the oil does find it's way out after reaching a certain, not very high level. Having seen these two, I had assumed this would be the case with all similarly affected gearboxes. If you are saying that it is possible for the transfer of oil from one to the other without any warning leaks that's a bit worrying and all the more reason for checking oil levels very frequently. I imagine anyone with a preserved vehicle, of what ever make, will be keeping a close watch on all oil levels.

The Land Rover gearbox/overdrive/transfer box oil levels are something I monitor carefully for the reason you state.

I've just remembered, Anita Broad's Constructor also leaked due to worn interconnecting seal.

Edited by 6 X 6

Now you mention it, Mike Smith bought Geoff's old 20t Constructor (the one with the Explorer crane) and not long after the 'box sounded ike a blacksmiths shop on piecework. I supplied him with the last unused recon we had in stock.

I can remember Mike Smith offering a Constructor gearbox for sale "with a noisy top gear" £500. If this was the blacksmith job I wonder if anyone bought it.

While we're still in the Constructor gearbox dept. could anyone tell me which way the oil migrates when the seal is leaking...I mean does the gearbox oil go into the transfer box or is it the other way round ? Thanks.

Edited by 6 X 6

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

This Landrover problem of oil transfer to transfer box was the major reason i rebuilt dozens of them.Normaly it overloaded the t/box and came out the h/brake.But because they were normaly leaky anyway nobody really noticed.bad ones could lose most of there oil in between sevices.Sounds like you have same problem,why didnt they use a reverse worm.

QUOTE:

Interesting point. I know of two different vehicles where the oil does find it's way out after reaching a certain, not very high level. Having seen these two, I had assumed this would be the case with all similarly affected gearboxes. If you are saying that it is possible for the transfer of oil from one to the other without any warning leaks that's a bit worrying and all the more reason for checking oil levels very frequently. I imagine anyone with a preserved vehicle, of what ever make, will be keeping a close watch on all oil levels.

The Land Rover gearbox/overdrive/transfer box oil levels are something I monitor carefully for the reason you state.

I've just remembered, Anita Broad's Constructor also leaked due to worn interconnecting seal.

Hey Land Rovers are easy to check oil levels. If there not dripping they need more.