Ferret Wheels

Topdog

Can I have some thoughts please.

I have just replaced all 4 tyres on the Ferret with nearly new runflats but the wheel rims are not as nice and a couple of the inner tubes need new valve outers. How much of a pain is it to change tyres / rims. In an ideal world I would like to put all 4 'new' tyres on the original rims and fit new inner tubes.

Second question - can I still buy inner tubes and what size is needed?

Cheers Dave

Dave,

You can get inner tubes, I have bought them from ATS before. You need 900x16 with the long bent valve. 8.25x16 will also fit. They are common to tractors, so if you live in a rural area they probably have them in stock. If the rims are a bit scabby, why not needle gun them and paint them up nicely? A lot easier than taking them to bits. I've had my tyres off several times, it's not a job I'd do for fun...

Chris

Thanks John, most interesting and GFO 875 will benefit. I think this would be a one-off job and worth while doing in the long run. I can then sell the old tyres + rims.

dave

I would second Chris - accepting that you need to change the inners, do that only on the wheels you need to - it is hard work and pointless on those where the tubes are Ok - why not just do up the rims on the latter ones.

Rims are alloy, so underneath a "scabby" paint finish there's nothing can be wrong with them (ie rust etc). Just paint strip (chemically or by needle or other means) and tart them up.

Hi,

I'm not a Ferret owner but I've picked up some Ferret wheels/tyres with some Ford WOT bits. These will be advertised in the correct section of the forum shortly but, reading this thread, I wonder if you could advise if the ones I have are standard or what? I have 3 split rims but they are aluminium. Are they normally steel or are these the correct type.

Obviously I want to list them correctly so I'm after some help. Anything past 1945 is a blur for me!!

Simon

Hi,

I wonder if you could advise if the ones I have are standard or what? I have 3 split rims but they are aluminium. Are they normally steel or are these the correct type.

Simon

Simon

Ferret wheels are never made of steel they are always of aluminium/alloy (I am not sure which metalurcially speaking) but they are absolutely not of ferrous construction and the weight of them when lifted up will soon prove that

Hi,

Anything past 1945 is a blur for me!!

Simon

age discrimination is now illegal and should be punishable by blacklisting from the Forum IMHO - oops not allowed to say that anymore :nono:

Hey the ban me smilie has disappeared, just as well, now you can't ban me :cool2:

Hi,

I'm not a Ferret owner but I've picked up some Ferret wheels/tyres with some Ford WOT bits. These will be advertised in the correct section of the forum shortly but, reading this thread, I wonder if you could advise if the ones I have are standard or what? I have 3 split rims but they are aluminium.

Hi Simon

If you get chance could you post up some pictures?

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

hi andy,

Really sorry for the delay. Camera broke and then I went to the states on business so just back etc. I'll sort it and post them. camera won't zoom in or out now as it got dropped........

There are 3 aluminium wheels in good order, and they are for sale.....

cheers

Simon