Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem was mainly a loose output flange on the gearbox, but also possibly a tired u/j on the short front axle propshaft. Took the opportunity with the main prop off to replace the leaking rear axle oil seal too having just changed all the transmission oils (almost nothing left of the leather, but found a new leather one cos it's kinder on the flange?). Sadly I think the main prop needs replacing sometime soon as the sliding joint is very worn. I'm not sure if I have a spare in the collection of bits and pieces, but something will turn up!

Jules

this is my work mate jame's explorer today was her first glimpse of daylight in 4 years . sadly her time under cover was a bit damp she was caught in floods of last year and sat in water up to the cab floor :cry:

so i recieved a phonecall :cellphone:i was invited to watch as she was dragged into the outside world and after about 30seconds of being neer her i found the illness had took over and was soon lay underneath draining dif gearbox and beam oils most containing more water than oil

003-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

james rubbing her tummy and asking her nicely to start

starter motor is out of action so had to resort to plan b (tow with tractor)

she did start but she,s shy and dosen,t want to build up any air and clutch does not feel like disingageing but were working on it

and yes she,s meadows powered

007-3.jpg

but shock:shocking: horror its a DESIEL

just to keep the index up to date this explorer no longer belongs to my work mate . but now is in the ownership of another scammell nutt who ressides in the same establisment he whises to remain name less

:-\

my mom took the news well i thort :-D

Edited by younggun

I've spent most of today scrapping fifty odd years of muck and solidified oil and grease from the top of Daisies winch drum after removing some of the rotten floor ! Great fun ! :-D

Andy, are you planning to remove the rope? In which case you may wish to borrow a "special tool" for putting a rope back in, to avoid a lot of :argh::-D

Andy, are you planning to remove the rope? In which case you may wish to borrow a "special tool" for putting a rope back in, to avoid a lot of :argh::-D

Hi Tony , At present the winch cable will have to stay on as I have no space to remove it ! I think it will be replaced at some time when she's back on the road , time and funds permitting of course ! In the mean time I will make sure the cable clamp comes off while I have the floor off ,think she'll need some new bolts at least ! What is this tool like please mate ? :-D

u can teach me all u know o grate one :bow:

tried that when we bump started her when i re attach the starter motor and get her back on the button i will try doin the same but with foot hard on the brake if that fails ime going looking for a nice big oak tree to restrain her if that fails goin to try and strip the clutch down with engine and gearbox inplace is this possible ?

Edited by younggun

After spending the best part of a morning trying to feed the end of a new rope around the inside of the drum and out through the hole :argh::argh::argh:, I found a length of flexible spiral steel conduit which I could just get through, and into which the rope would fit. Plenty of grease and the rope threaded through a treat :)

After spending the best part of a morning trying to feed the end of a new rope around the inside of the drum and out through the hole :argh::argh::argh:, I found a length of flexible spiral steel conduit which I could just get through, and into which the rope would fit. Plenty of grease and the rope threaded through a treat :)

Thanks mate ! I'll bear that in mind ! :-D

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm sure you'll be very happy together mate ! You have been gagging to get one ! My advice just drive her and don't go mad taking her apart like I did ! :cry: Like I say she looks very nice now ! Did you get recovery gear with her ? Hope one day we can park em next to one another and talk Scammells til the cows come home ! :-D

shes not in bad nick but there is things that need attention few patches of blistering rust to be dealt with :coffee: she has a full recovery kit even has the original work lamp which mounts on the rear of the cab will post loads of pics when i get her going

i would like to think one day we will be parked side by side when are we having explorers nite at the club house ?

Edited by younggun

Congratulations Youngun!! Welcome to an excellent band of excentrics?? I hope you have as many hours of enjoyment sharing the experience of Scammelling as I have had with mine and others!

Look forward to seeing you both next year at W & P maybe??

All the best, Jules