Scammell Explorer Gallery

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thor, what was the background to this find ? It looks as though they had come straight from Ruddington and were then parked at the bottom of someone's garden. Did they have any sort of life in commercial recovery after leaving the military ?

YSY249-found.jpg

Hi 6x6 sorry have only just caught up with my cousin.

As far as he knows they were brought them and parked them down there for 14 years with no commercial use. If I find out any more I will let you know.:)

As far as he knows they were brought them and parked them down there for 14 years with no commercial use. If I find out any more I will let you know.:)

could you let me have some pics one of mine is the one on the left.yes they came straight out and were parked.i think they were bought because they were to cheap not to. i paid £600 and had to return the rear axle ,(now in LSU) and engine and gear box air boxes taps and spare wheel carrier were returned , hence not much left had to shelve her.

What ho! Was this picture taken near Guildford?

I´m asking because back in 1985 I found a pair of Scammell Explorers just like this in a field next to my aunt´s house. Her neighbour bought three at an auction, and was restoring one at that time. Reportedly, the other two were to be used as spares. I remember I nicked a valve from a soggy carton in the back. . .

- Hanno

Thor, what was the background to this find ? It looks as though they had come straight from Ruddington and were then parked at the bottom of someone's garden. Did they have any sort of life in commercial recovery after leaving the military ?

YSY249-found.jpg

What ho! Was this picture taken near Guildford?

I´m asking because back in 1985 I found a pair of Scammell Explorers just like this in a field next to my aunt´s house. Her neighbour bought three at an auction, and was restoring one at that time. Reportedly, the other two were to be used as spares. I remember I nicked a valve from a soggy carton in the back. . .

- Hanno

dorking i think? will try and find out:cool2:

could you let me have some pics one of mine is the one on the left.yes they came straight out and were parked.i think they were bought because they were to cheap not to. i paid £600 and had to return the rear axle ,(now in LSU) and engine and gear box air boxes taps and spare wheel carrier were returned , hence not much left had to shelve her.

hi gps i have a few pics off yours will let you have them:cool2:

I have took the roof off and have found more rust:argh:

The more I remove the more rust I find. Still got the front panel and the other side to do, not going to do the back as there is only a bit of rust at the bottom, that will be done when I replace the wood on the back body (not this year, not that kean) - thought old trucks were built to last, its only us mad people that make them last by doing all this work to them:cool2:

Image052.jpg

Image053.jpg

Image054.jpg

Looks like fun Thor! Hope you've got a good heater. I think you should leave the panels off as there's less to rust later on and it's a huge saving on paint. It's been working for me for the last few years and I'm sure you'll get an extra 2 or 3 yards per gallon due to the reduced drag and weight :cool2: The 'bikini' look is all the rage on Explorers this season I believe. Good luck with the rest of the job mate. Daz

Edited by daz76

Nice one mate ! They didn't like wasting paint at the Scammell factory ! Lucky they made them with such thick metal ! I look forward to seeing the face lift at Dorset if not the War and Peace show ! :-D

hopefully have it done for dorset:???

Looks like fun Thor! Hope you've got a good heater. I think you should leave the panels off as there's less to rust later on and it's a huge saving on paint. It's been working for me for the last few years and I'm sure you'll get an extra 2 or 3 yards per gallon due to the reduced drag and weight :cool2: The 'bikini' look is all the rage on Explorers season I believe. Good luck with the rest of the job mate. Daz

theres one in the cab but couldent stop the draft coming in:confused: i wouldent look good in a bikini:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice one mate ! They didn't like wasting paint at the Scammell factory ! Lucky they made them with such thick metal ! I look forward to seeing the face lift at Dorset if not the War and Peace show ! :-D

Don't like wasting paint in the Fowler workshops either by the look of your new Avatar Andy!. They look nice and shiny. So Daisy's going green then?

I love wasting paint Daz ! Deep Bronze Green has a very strange effect on me ! The more I put on the happier I get ! I've been cleaning up the rear axle today ! Great weather for pressure washing ! Its very easy to remove the original green from the chassis but fifty odd years of oil and grease and layers of sand colour and DBG on the dif are taking some shifting ! All good fun though ! Long way to go til I catch your level yet ! I just hope she'll still run when she's finished !:sweat:

I love wasting paint Daz ! Deep Bronze Green has a very strange effect on me ! The more I put on the happier I get ! I've been cleaning up the rear axle today ! Great weather for pressure washing ! Its very easy to remove the original green from the chassis but fifty odd years of oil and grease and layers of sand colour and DBG on the dif are taking some shifting ! All good fun though ! Long way to go til I catch your level yet ! I just hope she'll still run when she's finished !:sweat:

Hi Andy - do not get rid of the dirt !!:nono:

When I took the bottom of my diesal tank skin a few years ago and cleaned out a wheelbarrow full of dirt between the diesal and the outer skin, the diesal tank decided to leak so my good friend GPS welded a new bottom in for me. Leave the dirt on the scammell, its probably whats holding large bits of it together:cool2:

I have discovered that my brake air tanks could be a little fragile now they are off and washed ! Where the strap holds the lower one onto the chassis is quiet badly pitted ! I will know more when I've given it a going over with the needle descaler ! :sweat: I will know by tomo night !

I have discovered that my brake air tanks could be a little fragile now they are off and washed ! Where the strap holds the lower one onto the chassis is quiet badly pitted ! I will know more when I've given it a going over with the needle descaler ! :sweat: I will know by tomo night !

YSY249 had the same with his air tank he got a air tank cut the ends off both and welded his ends on the other tank:cool2:

Thats one of the scenarios in my head at the mo :idea:! Antarmike did a lovely job on his wife Andi's Explorer tank ! My welding is not good enough so I will need to track down an expert ! Do you know what the replacement tank was off of by any chance please ?

i will try to find out what he took the tank off:)

Hopefully some of these haven't been seen on here before as they are some more from my photo collections from the last couple of years.

The first two pics are from the Belvior Castle Steam Rally in 2007

The next three pics are from Birdingbury Steam and Country Rally in 2007 with the next five being from the 2008 show.

053.jpg

077.jpg

055.jpg

060.jpg

066.jpg

027.jpg

030.jpg

047.jpg

049.jpg

050.jpg