Rich man's game...?!

Jack

Sorry to disappoint everybody, but no i am not a millionare even though there was a programme on channel 5 tonite stating i must be. Owning a 432 isn't a cheap hobby but i doubt nor is owning any other military vehicle. I find that the storage is the worst bit, the rest i suppose is how involved you want to get. I am fortunate to own a truck and lowloader just for taking 432 to shows (i am trying to save up pennies as due MOT), well there no point having MV if you cant show it off & it keeps costs down a bit (who am i trying to fool)

So basically i just a normal (well as normal as you lot out there) person, with crappy job, a girlfriend who puts up with it,an ex-wife who didn't, a 5yr old son who doesn't like noisey tanks and an empty bank balance every month. And no i don't want to get rid of it, not yet anyway.

Dougy

You don't need to be rich. I'm not rich, I'm a student! (For a couple more months anyway) My dad is not rich either. We buy cheap vehicles, do all the work ourselves and get enjoyment from that as much as driving them. We don't go to many shows, but concentrate on going to Beltring as it is a long way and costs us a lot in fuel or transport. Transport and storage are the problems, but it's not down to what you know, or how much money you have, but contacts.

Chris

Why are the costs huge? Tim is right. Things are bigger, and heavier, but it's not a real problem. If you can use a spanner, a hammer and a grease gun you can maintain a tank.

You may say track and roadwheels are expensive, they are, but it all depends on how many miles you put under them. Tyres are expensive too, especially Ferret tyres and the like.

Chris

just as Chris has commemted, it does help if you know somebody sort of thing. Keep most of my costs down by being self sufficent as much as i can, but have a couple of friends who i have met through the hobby who have been a great help. Do mean to actually work out if i can afford it over the year but it is probably best i don't. Again it as expensive as you want to make

here is some of costs since i bought my 432

cost of buying 432

bought filters(which i still haven't fitted)

radios

tractor unit (spend a year borrowing a lowloader)

couple radio boxes

aerial mounts and aerials

gun mount

some tools and track splitting kit(that I hope i never need to use)

bren to go on mount (cant afford gpmg)

couple of air tanks for lorry as rotted through

beacon & mounts

search lamps

various other bits and pieces that i get when i can

finally got own lowloader(propably biggest cost to date)

Tax, insurance and mot and general repairs & servicing for unit and trailer(due mot now still saving up)

clarke masts to go on side of 432

chieftain box to go on front

couple tyres for lowloader(Oh that hurt not cheap)

discovery van (as cavalier couldnt take having toolbox, truck batteries and bits of tank in the boot)

at malvern got a cb2 clansman crew box and couple manuals

storage(soon adds up to big bill)

Need to mot unit and trailer. unit needs another air tank, headlight glass horn not working, trailer going to need brake reline soon.

maybe i should be rich or i would be rich if i didn't bother, but there is something about the hobby that makes it worth it

dougy

Sorry to everybody who got a bit lost there, that what you get from hanging around lorries for the last 20 odd years.

mot unit.........same as a car a lorry has to have annual test. Unit, short for tractor unit, the cab bit in front with engine etc when used with articulated trailer

lowloader....... type of trailer used for carrying vehicles and machines/diggers etc or tank as in my case. Usually got small wheels(to keep load platform low) and ramps at the back or drop out neck to allow loading.

432......... FV432(Trojan) British army armoured personnel carrier fully tracked. Into service from mid sixties and still used today, was superceeded by the warrior.

Hope this clears any confusion caused. If I knew how to get pics uploaded I would post them then you could see what I mean

Dougy

Personally I rather like the idea of driving them there Jack :twisted: :lol:

Cheers

Degsy

Totally agree with you Degsy but if there is a more of a cost effective way of doing then that would be a good think as you could then attend more shows 8)