CVR(W) Fox

sirhc

For anyone who doesn't know about our Fox, here's a brief history. We bought it in 2002 minus the engine and quite a lot of other bits. We finally got it all together in summer 2004. After finding some broken pipes, and having starter problems we finally gave up when the gearbox appeared to be siezed. See pictures of this lot here: http://projects.sirhc.co.uk

The latest update, as of today, is that we're finally ready to have another go at getting it sorted. Today we took the engine out. It took 2 hours to remove, and came out as one big lump. When we put it together it took several days, mostly because we had a huge pile of bits and no idea how they went together.

Here's a couple of photos:

11-12-05%20013.jpg

11-12-05%20014.jpg[/img]

It was cleaner to start with! Hopefully we'll get the gearbox changed over the next couple of weeks and we can see if it will finally move.

We decided a while ago that we would name it 'Jigsaw' due to the thousands of bits we've had to assemble to get it into a running vehicle.

Chris

• 1 month later...

We've now swapped the gearboxes and refitted the engine. The vehicle has moved, for the first time since it was delivered in November 2002! It was only a few feet, but it was still progress. We need to do some more adjustment on the gearbox but hopefully we'll get it on the road by the summer.

Chris

I think they forgot to write 'over' next to the done. It was written on there when it had the engine removed, also has 'barell removed for deac' written on the turret too. Looking forward to getting it going finally. Will yours be at Beltring this year?

Chris

Lee,

Is that a picture of your fox at the 2005 show, very nice.

Yep that's my Fox, Rob has booked us to do the live fire display at the Mills this year with the Fox, Saladin & 120mm Mobat, anyone on this list going to the Mills?

BrandsHatch1.jpg

Ready for a race Chris??

BrandsHatch2.jpg

Both photos Brands Hatch 2005

Lee,

Is that a picture of your fox at the 2005 show, very nice.

Yep that's my Fox, Rob has booked us to do the live fire display at the Mills this year with the Fox, Saladin & 120mm Mobat, anyone on this list going to the Mills?

Yes - I might well be there!! :D

I will be easy to find, I'll be the one making all the noise, see you there hopefully

• 2 weeks later...

Lee,

We may take the Fox to Kemble if it is ready on time, not sure about Beltring, it depends on transport for the Spartan and crew members. My brother might not be able to make it this year, which leaves us with too many toys and not enough drivers! It'll be at some of the shows though, probably the Town and Country show at Stoneleigh too.

Chris

Lee,

We may take the Fox to Kemble if it is ready on time, not sure about Beltring, it depends on transport for the Spartan and crew members. My brother might not be able to make it this year, which leaves us with too many toys and not enough drivers! It'll be at some of the shows though, probably the Town and Country show at Stoneleigh too.

Chris

You have to excuse this noob to the scene. I presume from checking the RAC route finder that this is Stoneleigh, CV8, not Stoneleigh KT19?

I also presume you'd need driver / commander for loading at Nottingham?

I would really love to get back into the driver's or commander's seat of a Spartan, and although I have never had the pleasure of a Fox, I presume it isn't a world away from a Ferret ("the best ride you'll ever have")? I can even claim to have experience of the Mk5 Ferret (ATGM version) which most resembles Fox. I'd imagine the steel armour of the Mk 5 Ferret makes it a heavier drive than the Fox?

If you are really, really stuck and the dates work (and She Who Must Be Obeyed unlocks the ball and chain), I'd be delighted to help out.

HTH

Hi all,

I've heard that the Fox is so light and fast and at the same time top heavy that it used to tip up a lot when going round corners, has anyone ever had any bad experiences with Foxes on here?

cheers, mick.

I wouldn't call 6 tons that light, I have had mine up to 75mph & it handles well, I threw it around brands hatch last year with no problems, I don't think it's as top heavy as it's made out to be, nearly all the accidents were off road.

e2c0aafd.jpg

My Fox at Brands 2005, back at Brands again this year :lol: