Women in the Military WWII

abn deuce

Found this photo of "WAVES" while searcing for new WWII photograph's thought it might be of interest .

other_wave43.jpg

WAVES Seamen 1st Class Martha Harrison and Lorrain Taylor working on the #1 Pratt & Whitney R-2000 engine of a R5D Skymaster aircraft, Naval Air Station, Oakland, California, United States, mid-1945

other_wave42.jpg

Edited by abn deuce

True , very same working conditions They did the jobs that had to be done while the men were being sent to Combat...... were they were not allowed to serve with the exception of Nurses who were of course within miles of the front lines

other_wave31.jpg

Edited by abn deuce

A few more of the many Women who served

422120290_e0a8b1373a.jpg

French caption

Deux infirmières militaires (Army Nurse Corps) sur celle de droite on voit l'insigne des ANC sur le col de sa chemise, posent pour la photographie, accoudées à une Jeep GPA Amphibious. Trois soldats sont assis à l'arrière du véhicule.de gauche à droite :

Lt V Bartholomew, MM2/C L Artzie (le conducteur de l'US Navy) , Lt G Cox, Lt H G Blything (nurse) et Lt C Ludkins (nurse).

translation

Two military nurses (Army Children's nurse Body) on that of right-hand side l' is seen; badge of the ANC on the collar of its shirt, pose for photography, accoudées with a Jeep GPA Amphibious. Three soldiers sat with l' back of the vehicle from left to right: Lt V Bartholomew, MM2/C L Artzie (the driver of l' US Navy), Lt G Cox, Lt H G Blything (children's nurse) and Lt C Ludkins (children's nurse).

421482003_e199e03d43.jpg

French caption

Personnel féminin débarquant d'un LCM sur un ponton, nous sommes sur Utah Beach.

Au centre un membre du 1st ESB (arc de cercle bleu jusqu'à la visière du casque lourd).

Remarquez le marin à gauche, il est assis sur la p013026 à l'embarquement du même groupe sur le LCM.

translation Female personnel unloading d' a LCM on a pontoon, we are on Utah Beach. In the center a member of 1st ESB (arc of blue circle jusqu' with the visor of the heavy helmet). Notice the sailor on the left, he sat on the p013026 with l' loading of the same group on the LCM

Edited by abn deuce

Seeing this last photo of the young lady getting of the landing craft, what is in that paper bag, her Duty Free? :whistle:

I know its close to christmas, but invading Belgium for the cheap goddies is a going a bit far. More prosacally the bags were issued to call Hughie :whistle:

I know its close to christmas, but invading Belgium for the cheap goddies is a going a bit far. More prosacally the bags were issued to call Hughie :whistle:

You would have thought she would have dropped it over the side after using it..........maybe they were thinking of the enviroment and polution back then :dunno:

Must be true about Women being attracted to Dodges as one of the comments in an earlier thread stated I m guessing that its a 1 1/2 ton since the piano fits inside it .

421467065_70f3a4f07e.jpg

French caption

Une jeune femme chante, accompagnée par des musiciens, toute la "troupe" est a bord d'un Dodge Weapon Carrier.

Deux de ces femmes sont des membres de l'American Red Cross (Croix Rouge américaine) celle au piano et celle qui chante (avec un an de service au sein de l'ARC, insigne cousu en bas de la manche gauche)

translation

A young woman sings, accompanied by musicians, all the "troop" is has edge of Dodge Weapon Carrier. Two of these women are members of American Red Cross (American Red Cross) that with the piano and that which sings (with one year of service within the ARC, badge bent in bottom of the left sleeve)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a book called "Greatcoats and Glamour Boots" about women in WW2, written by a "Carolyn Gossage". Someone gave me a copy as a gift, and the author was awesome and sent an inscribed copy to my Aunt as a gift of appreciation of her service (my dad's sister who served as a WREN I believe, in WW2 in Newfoundland - called "overseas" still back then) My Aunt was disappointed that she only recognized one woman/photo in the book but was very happy the book was written, very pleased to know her service, and the other women's, was not fogotten.

It is really nice to see so muc more information and acknowledgement "out there" about these women now :)

You can even read some of the book at the bleow link/site:

http://books.google.ca/books?hl=en&id=E93GZhZTwsoC&dq=carolyn+gossage&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=CuU9RWNBGO&sig=6ogSVf3RZBwOjnyyYmW46CrGguM&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP1,M1

Carmen, you've read you review it! Look forward to seeing it on the Forum. :-D

What a ;pushy sort you are :nono:

:rofl: ... I'll have to read that book again to refresh my memory, it's been a long time since I received and read it (years!) and when I do ... then I shall return to write my thoughts on it, just for you! :yay: (and all interested)

Yes please do!

PM me when you're ready. We like all this variety. I am keen to see "old" military subject books of all kinds, reappraised or newly discovered, given space on the reviews section as additional features for our growing empire. If it is possible to get an illustration of the cover via amazon or somewhere, that would be grand!

MB

Yes please do!

PM me when you're ready. We like all this variety. I am keen to see "old" military subject books of all kinds, reappraised or newly discovered, given space on the reviews section as additional features for our growing empire. If it is possible to get an illustration of the cover via amazon or somewhere, that would be grand!

MB

Hi Snapper (pretty "snappy" name there :) )

The book is not old, only being published in 2001, and when I've had a chance to re-read it I will definately write something about it in here for you and everyone interested, and I'll alert you personally by PM (I hope I remember to!)

Googling will get lots of hits for it in Canadian booksellers sites and places like ebay, I'm sure ... meanwhile, here is one link:

http://www.fedpubs.com/subject/history/greatcoats.htm

If I can figure out how to scan the cover with my new-to-me scanner, I'll do that and try upload the image for you :)

Edited by Vets Dottir

A little history about the Canadian WRENs ... my Dad's sister, Amy, served with the

more than 500 women mentioned who served in Newfoundland. I'm not clear what her specific tasks were, but apparently something pretty important to do with radios and very important communications (I can't remember clearly what was told to me)

http://www.thewrens.com/history/canada/

Carmen it is quite possible your relation was associated with Y Service. A gret number of WRENS and other women were involved. the job was to listen to enemy stations and note down the messages. Not in any languiage but up to one hundred words in minute in gibberish, accuratley taken down under very poor reception conditions. the result was then sent to various code breacking centres for hopeful dechiperment. most of those involved didn't and the fwew suvvors are still very cagey about talking of thier work. Canada was a prime centre for interception for trans Atlantic German traffic and the Japanese Enigma variants. A side effect was as they were so highly security cleared they also handled Allied cipher traffic.