Do we need so many forums?

Joris

I follow a miltitude of forums too, nice waste of time at work :)

I suggest merge some of the Off Topic forums, we have plenty of those. Also the "The thoughts behind this forum" could be a sticky at a different forum.

Hello,

I think the present set up is fine, this is a multi-denominational forum after all. If it was only for one make or group of vehicle then that would be a different matter.

I suppose that to a new member it would take a while to find your way around and read all the posts, but if you remove some thread's the amount of posts will stay the same so it will make no difference really.

The easiest way I've found, is each time you log on, just click on the "View New Post's Since Last Visit" button. It saves you having to search through them manually.

Regards

Richard

Do we really need all these forums? Can't a few be merged because it's rather hard to keep track of things in the current setup.

I know you're talking in your second tongue and you do very well at it, but for clarity when you say Forums do you mean threads, on this forum.

We have the power to merge THREADS but not to merge with other FORUMS. They are run by other people.

If you can be precise what it is you would like merged, we'll see what we can do.

I think to a new comer its only slightly overwhelming, but its easy to navigate and having it set out the way it is makes it easier to find a topic of your liking, also you just look for the "New Post" symbol when you arrive, so I think it has just the right amount of Threads.

Tyler.

Do we really need all these forums? Can't a few be merged because it's rather hard to keep track of things in the current setup.

I know you're talking in your second tongue and you do very well at it, but for clarity when you say Forums do you mean threads, on this forum.

We have the power to merge THREADS but not to merge with other FORUMS. They are run by other people.

If you can be precise what it is you would like merged, we'll see what we can do.

No it's not the number of threads, this is rather a quiet place if you look at it that way. It's the number of forums and categories that daunt me.

I may be a newcomer to this website but I'm not new to using forums.

It's just a question and if everybody thinks this setup is fine please leave it that way. I'll adapt to it.

Like I said, there are a lot of Off Topic forums so there might be something to merge.

There is an entire forum called "The thoughts behind this forum" which has only one thread, this thread could be moved to a different forum and the forum removed.

Perhaps have one category "Vehicles", in this category are all the different country forums.

It makes it all a bit more easy to read, 15 forums is quite a lot.

Hi Madman.

Thanks for your input and I know what you are saying. It is very difficult to get the balance right as the site caters for many people with many needs and desires and I don't want to change that as I for one, have learnt so much about so many different vehicles from some clever people. The problem is when you lump all vehicles into one forum then the forum will lose it's impact as you then have to trawl through that forum to find the MV's that are relevant to you.

HMVF will always be evolving and I do intend to change or merge, some forums together but this is really just to make room for other subjects that are of interest to us all, an HMVF shop section being one of them. I think perhaps we could lose the Eastern Block section as this isn't that popular at this moment in time but we can put it back if more members join who own these MV's. We can merge a couple more as well and don't forget when the VCR bill is sorted that section will go as well.

..........I will get that sorted and again, thanks for the input MM!

Best wishes.

Jack.

I think perhaps we could lose the Eastern Block section as this isn't that popular at this moment

Hello Jack, Mad Man, everone else,

I agree, I don't know why there aren't more ZIL owners on here! I've tried to bring them out but no luck.

Saying that http://www.ZIL131.com had about 50 users but no-one has used it for ages.

I think alot of ZIL owners have them as a big, cheap off roaders not as a Military Vehicle, shame really. :cry:

Keep up the good work,

Richard

Provided you log in there is no problem. Then just see what is flagged up as new & go to it if it is in a category of interest. It all is done very quickly.

I belong to some Yahoo forums & they can get swamped with just one subject & it is a bore having to sift through all the stuff to get to another subject. Usually it seems the off-topic subjects become very busy & jokey & dominate the site for days on end. At least on here there are places for people to go off & be off-topic & jokey etc as needed.

• 1 month later...

sticking my two pennth' worth in, I have to agree with Clives comments,

I also visit forums, that can get 'taken over', by a small minority of its members,- becoming,almost a 'private conversation'.

To my mind, hmfv, and Jack, has got the balance right.

Long may it continue.

Andy