Found anything interesting?.........

Jack

When you have been walking around the countryside where you live have you found anything military related that has been stuck out of the ground or you have tripped over?

For me, not so long ago I found a pioneer shovel in a plowed field right next to Uppottery airfield 8) it will one day end up on my GMC!

Back in 1994, I found some pieces of the original 100th Bomb Group B-17 "Hang The Expense", that I based my flying model on. The pieces remained in a ditch at the edge of the field since November 1943, where the plane crashed. In 1994, the ditch was cleaned out and ploughed into the field. The pieces were just lying on the top of the soil.

They included pieces of wing skin, fuel pipe and plexiglass. One of the pieces was mounted in the nose of my model and now still flies, 62 years after leaving the Boeing factory.

9.JPG

Steve

Hi all,

whilst cycling over local heath land the last couple of years i have found an ww2 ammo box for 25 pounder shells solid condition but a bit rusty,also a U.S jerry can but the type with the large lid and the white enammeled (sp?) interior which i belived was for water or food use ??

Many years ago when i was a keen detectorist in the late seventies i spent my holidays on the battle fields of europe both WW1 and WW2 but as most of what i found was rusty and had no real intrinsic value i gave it away to young collectors or school lads who couldn`t fund a collection. This included helmets, badges, medals, guns, etc

On one dig alone in Verdun i found (on the surface) a stack of 30 stick grenades the wood handles had all rotted away but the metal was still fairly good i am sure i still have one somewhere. The explosive came out as a solid lump so all were fairly harmless.

I will try and post a picture of the grenade sometime.

Ashley

I have not found anything anywhere like that, but when my son and I rode down to Normandy for the 60th anniversary on a russian bike and sidecar, I did try to lose him on the beaches :twisted: , but like a rusty bullet he kept turning up :?:

46cc6df6.jpg

Back in the seventies a friend of mine who had a small holding just outside the village where I live found an unexploded incendiary bomb :shock: in the bottom of a dried up pool after doing some drainage. It was a well known fact locally that a German plane dropped a stick of bombs in that area during the war, probably while looking for the munitions factory at Hereford.