Jimmy Paint

Mark

Hi Mark,There are several shades of OD used in during the war, it's down to personal choice at the end of the day.

I use a special mixed OD paint from RR services and I thinks its a great colour for the WWII vehicles. I've had several inquiries as to it's paint number whilst at shows.

If your interested send me a PM and I'll send you the paint code.

regards

Steve

Hi Mark. there were more than 140 paint suppliers all varying slightly in colour, then each batch was slightly different, then when they were repainted in the ETO the paint was thinned with whatever came to hand, frequently petrol. You can see from all this that there were huge colour variations so as long as it is a shade of olive drab don't let any body tell you your colour is wrong. Having said this I would recommend the paint suppliied by Martin and Jim at Allied Forces.

Hi Mark,

There are a some common misconceptions about CCKW paint colours. One of the most common being that early trucks used a an OD with a strong yellow tint,while this is completely untrue you see many older restorations in this awful pale green,almost bordering on yellow.

If you want to go by the manuals CCKW's from the factory used at least two different paint colours,TM 10-1269 of Jan 19th 1942 and all previous CCKW manuals give vehicle finish as "Olive Drab-flat,Dupont number 1071-019.

TM 10-1563 of July 1st 1942 and all following CCKW TM-10 manuals give finish as "Olive Drab,flat,Dupont number 1071-050.

As a 1944 truck yours would have the TM-9 series manuals and I don't know if they give details of vehicle finish. The details I have given above are for factory finish,as Degsy says trucks repainted overseas could end up any shade of OD. I have a CCKW hood with original finish and US markings and the finish is a very dark green with a slightly shiny finish.

Matt.

Once you settle on a shade you like you still have a choice if your going to go with a flat finish or other . The flat while WW2 correct will absorb oil or grease and scratch easily so it's hard to keep clean or looking good if off roaded a lot , the gloss while not WW2 is easy to wipe off and things like oil and grease wont discolor the finish and is more scratch resistant so many people use that.

Great question Mark and one that I scratched my head about too. As the guys said above, don't need get to hung up on this as there are so many variables involved, just go with what you like but post war gloss isn't right - that said WD40 has the same effect and looks good - now I have freak myself out. To many decisions.