Market Garden tour

Today I drove the Dodge back from Arnhem to Veghel and deceided it would be a good idea to visit some of the Market Garde locations.

Waalcrossing memorial, on september 20th the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne made an asault river crossing in daylight in order to secure the Nijmegen road and railbridges. This memorial has been erected to remember this brave feat and to remember those that did not make it.

My trip to me on Devils Hill where the 508th PIR was cut off from the rest of the 82nd Airborne division for more then a day and being constantly under attack. They never surrendered and contact with division was eventually restored. Did not take any pictures there though.

Then off to Germany for a drive in the Reichswald. Unfortunantly there is only one road that runs through the Reichswald, the rest go around it. During the briefing for Market Garden large number of German tanks were thought to hide in the Wald so it was one of the prime objectives of the 82nd Airborne to hold the highground and keep the Germans at bay.

The farmland you see on the pictures was also used as on of the 82nd Airborne dropzones. After Market Garden it was for months the nomans land between the allied and the Germans.

I followed my way and eventually made it to Heumen where a lockbridge used to be. This lockbridge was the only bridg across the Maas-Waal canal, all XXX corps traffic passed across this bridge. I had parked the Dodge in the direction the Allies were advancing.

Not far from the Dropzone lies the Grave Bridge which was captured intact by only 15 man! The rest of the company assigned to take the bridge were dropped slightly off and arrived after the bridge was taken. It's now the Colonel Johnson bridge.

While taking pictures an older lady said hello and she told me she witnesed the paratroopers landing and told me of the subsequent liberation. Very touching.

Finally I arrived in Veghel and went to the location of the old bridge where XXX corps crossed the Zuid Willemsvaart. Again the bridge has been removed, a new roadbridge stands on the left. The Dodge is parked in the direction of the advance.

That sums it up for today, had a fantastic day and very nice weather and it's always great to visit these sites.

those photo's of the place's and memorials are very much appreciated :tup: , Seems it was a nice fall day for the trip , what was the temperature like ? the shots looking through the Dodge without any end curtains make it seem to be a colder ride but I know its no warmer with them ! its just psychological. ;-)

While taking pictures an older lady said hello and she told me she witnesed the paratroopers landing and told me of the subsequent liberation. Very touching.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post these up Joris. I adore seeing pictures from areas that we have never been and to talk to a eye witness - very special moment, you live a charmed life.

Promise me that you will show me around one day soon.

Well it was my pleasure to drive the tour :) Will try and drive through Eindhoven, valkenswaard and on to Neerpelt in the near future too.

If you all want to come over, then do!! Let's make a plan and get you all over for a great weekend!