BOOK World War II Waterproofing and Wading in Weymouth”  Preparation for the D-Day landings on the Normandy beaches.

Pocahontas

Hi All,

My wife and I have just published a book titled “World War II Waterproofing and Wading in Weymouth”  Preparation for the D-Day landings on the Normandy beaches. Please find attached copy of Front/back cover below front cover on the right and the back cover on the left, the contents/acknowledgement pages of the book are also pasted below FYI.

This publication details Ted, my father-in-law’s activities preparing the vehicles for the D-Day landings on the Normandy beaches during WW2.

Ted served as a project sergeant at M.E.13 No.1 Experimental Workshop R.E.M.E. (Wading) Weymouth during WW2, where he and a team of over 50 men, had sole responsibility for experimental trials and the waterproofing of wheeled military vehicles. My wife and I have launched the book this year to specifically commemorate the 80th anniversary of the D-Day landings on the Normandy beaches.

We have had the honour and privilege of gaining in-depth knowledge from Ted’s experiences, being directly involved in the preparation of the vehicles for the D-Day landings. Ted passed in early 1990, so to ensure authenticity and detailed accounts of his countless stories, it has taken over 30 years to appropriately record, compile and complete the book.

There are no available books in the marketplace or in museums that specifically cover the precise detail of the role of M.E.13 No.1 Experimental Workshop R.E.M.E. (Wading) Weymouth during WW2. This is the first book to cover the detailed, specific, and important role that M.E.13 No.1 Experimental Workshop R.E.M.E. (Wading) Weymouth performed during WW2.

The book has been created with the full collaboration of the R.E.M.E. Museum in Lyneham Uk. They granted full permission to use images from their waterproofing archives and have proofread the book for historical authenticity and accuracy. Here are their comments concerning the book :- R.E.M.E. Museum Lyneham, Wiltshire, UK: - A very interesting book which provides insights and highlights wider aspects of the whole waterproofing endeavour, such as driver training in order to drive off the LCTs; a nice overview of the logistics and how the many, varied, and different requirements all fitted into the big picture; learning about the use of ARVs and BARVs at Weymouth. What really comes to the fore is the amazing and meticulous research and hard work they all had to do. The demonstration and illustration of locations and context is particularly useful, and the colour images are fantastic. The old cliché that you learn something new every day is actually quite true.

Naturally there are many images of Weymouth in the book, the workshop at Lower Bond Street and many images of vehicles conducting experimental wading on Town beach. Some of these images are unpublished and not seen in the public domain for over 80 years as they are from the Father-in-laws personal archives of his time in Weymouth during WWII from Sept 1943 to July 1946.     

The book has a total of 138 pages, the whole book has been printed of good quality 115gsm silk paper to get the best from the many colour and Black & White images, the front & Back covers have been printed on high quality 250gsm gloss paper for durability. A copy of the book can be purchased for £11.95, + £3 P&P for UK customers. Shipping costs may vary for overseas customers as they will have to include, currency conversion fees along with other costs. We will confirm  shipping costs to overseas customers before billing therefore please specify your location before placing orders so that we can calculate accurate shipping costs for you. Overseas customers will be responsible for paying any customs duties payable in each of their respective countries. 

Best Wishes Mike & Ann Jones

9781399975674.jpg

Contents and Acknowledgements pages.pdf

Follow the website link below to purchase a copy of the book

Shop (rrccustoms.co.uk)

We hope the website is not too confusing, its my sons website, he designs and manufactures bespoke carbon fibre chassis and chassis components for RC model cars. Specifically off road 4X4 rock climbing RC's which are exceptionally durable.

The instructions to purchase the book we hope are straight forward, any problems just email me on this post, on the "Shop" website page navigate to the insert where you will find the book.

Thanks Ann & Mike Jones  

Edited by Pocahontas
Overseas shipping costs variations
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Available from   Listed on Amazon.co.uk from £11.99

EDIT: but see posts below before being tempted to order!

Edited by utt61
Updated to remove link in view of subsequent coments.

Posted (edited)

All ................URGENT..........do not go to this link that utt61 found.

We have not put the book for sale on Amazon!!!!!!!!!

I have to look into this tomorrow to find how and who placed it on Amazon...............I can assure all that we did not put in on Amazon for Sale. They have zero stock of the book and in any event cannot supply any interested parties with the book.

Also take note of the delivery time 6 months!   

If you respond to my post concerning the book I can ship it out to you the next day when payment has been completed.

Thanks all Ann & Mike Jones 

Edited by Pocahontas

Posted (edited)

Update concerning the book shown on Amazon.

Mr Jeff Bezos the founder and CEO of Amazon started his business in July 1994, he commenced business from his father’s garage selling books. Consequently, Amazon know every nook and cranny of the book industry.

We like many authors and publishers paid for and obtained our ISBN number and barcode from Nielsen Book Data based in the UK.

Newly published books with new ISBN data are available in the public domain via services provided by Nielsen Book Data.

The good people at Amazon have without zero consultation with us placed our book on their website for sale. In the assumption that they can obtain and sell the book.

There is a limited stock of these books due to the cost to get published and printed, my wife and I hold the only available stock of these books worldwide.

Edited by Pocahontas

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 8:08 PM, utt61 said:

Available from   Listed on Amazon.co.uk from £11.99

EDIT: but see posts below before being tempted to order!

Thanks utt61 for your removal of this link, it is very much appreciated

Edited by Pocahontas

My father use to stay with a relative who lived in Weymouth during the war for holidays.

He recalls a child drowning as a result of unexpected depression under the water on this very shallow beach.  It was presumably caused by either a landing craft or other vehicle getting stuck on the way in and excavating a hole trying to extricate itself.

Posted (edited)

Hi REME 245,

Thanks for your message.

I am not surprised to learn of this tragic loss of life.

During experimental trials their area of the beach was cordoned off, the book shows this, however civilians were permitted to use the beach as normal in the non cordoned off areas.   They must have wondered what on earth was going on. Whilst the sandy beach areas were cordoned off the sea area parallel with Bond Street up to the Weymouth band stand and back was not. This was the area of the sea that they drove the vehicles through for a war office bespoke 6-10 min wade time. However, this was conducted at a 5 ft wade depth, so despite the tragic loss of life I have to question how did a child get out to  5ft depth of water. 

I guess we will never know the answer to that question or indeed the true circumstances surrounding this tragic loss of life. Maybe the child inadvertently strolled into the cordoned off area where there would have been plenty of deep ruts in the sand caused by the tracks of ARV's, BARV's, landing craft hulls and wheeled vehicles. 

But yes landing craft, wheeled and tracked vehicles did create some huge ruts and holes in the sand but mainly in the cordoned off areas of beach and predominantly in the sea but at a depth of 5ft. They installed steel marker posts to maintain a straight line in the sea at constant depth of 5ft.  

Take Care Mike Jones 

Edited by Pocahontas

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

In response to Johann Morris and any one else interested in purchasing the book we are pleased to announce the web site is now live, the link is below:- .

Shop (rrccustoms.co.uk)

We hope the website is not too confusing, its my sons website, he designs and manufactures bespoke carbon fibre chassis and chassis components for RC model cars. Specifically off road 4X4 rock climbing RC's which are exceptionally durable.

The instructions to purchase the book we hope are straight forward, any problems just email me on this post, on the "Shop" website page navigate to insert where you will find the book.

Thanks Ann & Mike Jones  

Edited by Pocahontas

Posted (edited)

Hi Packhow 75,

Sorry that you have experienced this glitch.

There was the possibility that the new website was undergoing some maintenance when you tried to purchase the book. 

I have just been on to check and its OK now.

Any further problems let me know and we will seek another option for you, if you are unable to go through to purchase on your next attempt we can send you a PayPal invoice, after payment has been confirmed we can ship the book to you ASAP.

Thanks Mike 

Edited by Pocahontas

Hi again UTT61,

Yes you and a number of others had no problems placing book orders, inevitably in these times of cyber space there will always be numerous challenges to face for some, we will work through these with as positive an attitude as one can muster up. 

Thanks again utt61 for your support & feedback in these difficult times, your book was posted second class and should be with you soon, we hope you enjoy it.

Let us know what you think of the book?

Thanks Mike & Ann Jones

On 3/16/2024 at 8:42 AM, Pocahontas said:

Hi again UTT61,

Yes you and a number of others had no problems placing book orders, inevitably in these times of cyber space there will always be numerous challenges to face for some, we will work through these with as positive an attitude as one can muster up. 

Thanks again utt61 for your support & feedback in these difficult times, your book was posted second class and should be with you soon, we hope you enjoy it.

Let us know what you think of the book?

Thanks Mike & Ann Jones

"we will work through these with as positive and attitude as one can muster"... seriously?

Not a particularly customer friendly message imo.

For whatever reason whenever I try to order on your website, your website gives an error message, or no response... it is the only place in cyberspace I get' this issue... amazon and other main-stream retailers I have no issues. It may be I am the only one, but it doesnt mean you have the right to be rude.

I have sent you my email address (as you suggested) for you to send me an invoice there... assuming of course you can muster enough positive attitude to support this approach.

Regards

Tim Bell

Posted (edited)

Tim,

I am not being rude, I think you got the wrong end of the stick, where am I going to get if I am rude to you or anyone for that matter. If you feel I have been rude to you then I apologise unreservedly I can assure you that it was not my intention.

A feeble attempt on my behalf to calm the situation down but sadly it has not worked.

I was simply trying to explain to UTT61 that whilst he had no problems with order other people do. Those problems I accept may not be directly associated with any individual action and might well be associated with something out of that individual’s control.

At the same time, I also accept that those problems may well be associated with our website. However, based on successful experiences to date it is the order from your good self that we have only experienced difficulties with.

As stated in previous emails to you just how long this piece of string is we do not know in so far as internet issues are concerned.

If anyone is having a pop at someone Tim, your posts are giving our website an unfair and unnecessary grilling. However, we accept that in today’s world not everything will go to plan and as always there is a positive alternative to the challenges faced.

We have as requested sent you PayPal invoice which we hope finds you soon.

Thanks Mike 

Edited by Pocahontas

3 hours ago, Packhow75 said:

"we will work through these with as positive and attitude as one can muster"... seriously?

Not a particularly customer friendly message imo.

For whatever reason whenever I try to order on your website, your website gives an error message, or no response... it is the only place in cyberspace I get' this issue... amazon and other main-stream retailers I have no issues. It may be I am the only one, but it doesnt mean you have the right to be rude.

I have sent you my email address (as you suggested) for you to send me an invoice there... assuming of course you can muster enough positive attitude to support this approach.

Regards

Tim Bell

Tim, the reason it appears slightly rude is that you have misquoted Mike by substituting 'and' for 'an' which changed the meaning of the sentence.

4 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Tim, the reason it appears slightly rude is that you have misquoted Mike by substituting 'and' for 'an' which changed the meaning of the sentence.

an / and... my error in the requote, but it does not change the meaning of the sentence in my opinion... "as positive an attitude as one can muster" still implies to me that it's a bit of an effort to have to deal with a customer who's having trouble making a purchase. 

Anyways, he has said that no malice was intended, so I am happy to accept that and move on.

Tim

Johann,

Pleased to learn you have received the book.

Thanks for the initial positive feed back on the book. 

Please provide us with your thoughts on the book when you have had more time to read through the detail..

Thanks Mike