Landrover Lightweight FFR ( Larkspur)

bigduke6

14 hours ago, Chris Suslowicz said:

The insulator is the standard "rocket" that comes with the 27-ft mast kit. The bumperette mount is two steel plates with an offset socket and (I think) rubber shock absorber insert to protect the insulator, secured to the bumperette with through bolts. The "side arm" clamps to the tilt hoop at a suitable height and (I assume) has an insulating sleeve in the clamp for the mast to allow it to be used as a vertical antenna. (Other options would be the elevated VHF antenna or the BE-1C vertical dipole (all of which are only really usable in a static role because you need the guys for stability (HF) and electrical properties (VHF)). 

Chris. (G8KGS)

(The VHF aerials are pointless for radio amateur use as they only cover the 6m (51MHz) band, are lossy, and a fiddle to set up correctly. The BE-1C will cover 30-60MHz without lowering for re-tuning, but is still only usable on 51MHz.)

Have the insulator Chris, along with the full CES just never seen the offset mount with clamps. Like you say that set up is for using the mast as part of the antenna, apart from the mounting plate does anyone have any info on the bracket securing the mast the hood stick ? 

The interesting element about the offset mast clamp was, as I understood it, so that the mast sat beside the rear lights.  My Lightweight was a modified Mk.1 version that had the front grill and lights upgraded, but not the rear.  The later Mk.2 version had an extra light added, where the reflector is positioned on my vehicle; so, was the base plate changed again perhaps to fit between the lights, or even moved further away from the rear body?

cheers,
Mike

Mike - the original Lightweight - from 1967 with headlamps in the radiator panel were known as  Rover 1   it was a S2A (not to be confused with what is now called a Series 1  /  One).  These would have a chassis No.  Suffix  A.   Later headlamps & mesh grille - due to lighting regulations  (typical being a  --FK--  .  Headlamps in wing boxes came about a few years later - still a S2A  , chassis  Suffix B.   To me a true Rover 1  is  A type.    Series 3 were same in bodywork as a Suffix Band appeared  1972/73  ,  your  LWT   15FM42  was part of large FFR Contract    WV11139  1972/73   08FM57 to 17FM17  ,  a guestimate of over 900 vehicles.  I have had  GS 12 volt  19FM65 since 1980 , a  1973/74 build contract.  There were a few visual  detail differences with S3 ,  a main difference was that the S£ had sychro on all forward gears,  S3 had many electrical changes inc. alternator on 12 volt, also dual-line brakes which at that time was a Optional extra on a S3 civvy LR.  Rear reflectors - that varied on Contract small oblong mixed up with large circular.  The third rear lamp(s)  were FOG guard and they appeared  1979/80.

Hi Ruxy,

that is very interesting and welcome information, thank you for sharing it.  The photo of the Lightweight assigned to me, can't call is mine, 15FM42 was taken in Norway in 1976.  You mentioned the reflectors and, as you saw, this vehicle had the small rectangular versions.

cheers,
Mike

Edited by Royal42
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Royal42 said:

Hi Ruxy,

that is very interesting and welcome information, thank you for sharing it.  The photo of the Lightweight assigned to me, can't call is mine, 15FM42 was taken in Norway in 1976.  You mentioned the reflectors and, as you saw, this vehicle had the small rectangular versions.

cheers,
Mike

My  12 volt  19FM65 has always had the large round red reflex by Lucas ,  sunlight turns the rubber white after 3 to 5 years , when new they are grey.    FFR  43GF07  (which would be new  '75/76)  - has the small rectangular ,  I suppose rivet-counters always check the back panels for original hole drillings  !

• Thanks 1