Amazon Thornycroft Coles Crane

Dougie K

I think it is a Coles mkV11 crane the same as fitted to an AEC 0854. There was a blog about 4 or 5 years ago of an AEC restoration and I think someone had spare crane manuals. Yours looks like the short wheelbase Thornycroft Amazon version. I am guessing it has a Gardner 6LW power plant. I would think the crane engine is by now a replacement I think originally they were Ford petrol powered. If you have photos of the engines we should be able to pin them down.

That is going to be fun putting that back together. There is a good Gardner engine site on Facebook they know there engines inside out, also where to get parts from. If you can find the engine information plate. If the main engine drives a generator it is a late build. It would probably be cheaper to find a running engine than rebuild the one that you have. Do you have the starter motor and dynamo?

Edited by john1950
addition

Hi John

on the six pallets are all the engine parts to rebuild, I like a challenge, I’m trying to find the history of why the engine was stripped to every nut and bolt, as you say buying a running engine might be cheaper but where’s the fun in that. 

• Like 1

Looks like a Thornycroft Amazon lwb (16.5ft) WF8 with Coles mk7 6 ton crane. Engine should be a Thornycroft  NR6 diesel with a pto which drives a generator to power the electric crane. 388 built, mainly for the RAF.

Amazon.jpg

Edited by radiomike7
  • Like 1

I should have realised it was not a Gardner of that era as it is a mono block. Finding gaskets for that will be interesting. You did say you like a challenge. Low revving slugger the last Thornycroft I drove was a Sturdy. It will probably be BSF and Whitworth fastenings.

35 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

Looks like a Thornycroft Amazon lwb (16.5ft) WF8 with Coles mk7 6 ton crane. Engine should be a Thornycroft  NR6 diesel with a pto which drives a generator to power the electric crane. 388 built, mainly for the RAF.

Amazon.jpg

Hi Radiomike7

yes that’s the very machine. 

dougie

20 minutes ago, john1950 said:

I think there is a Thornycroft archive. if you have a chassis number it may be a good place to start. According to the photograph the ones built for the RAF had petrol engines I have seen them with a Meadows petrol engine.

Hi John1950

the engine is Diesel in this machine, the chaps over in Ireland at the aviation museum have the same machine and have kindly sent me photos of the engine  

dougie

CF242F3F-2C0E-4C3B-A07F-C3460845A21F.jpeg

• Like 1

At least you know what it should look like when assembled. I cannot quite make it out but if that has a starter motor to the right of the dynamo on this side that may be a different engine.

Edited by john1950
addition

I have had a better look now it was the fuel pipes that were putting me off, looking like heavy cables. There should be plenty  of information on the rocker covers and if that is a data plate on the side of the block. Providing your engine has them attached.     

If I remember rightly the inlet valves have swirl ribs/vanes and are difficult to grind in the seats, as you cannot get a full rotation.. They have a guide that sits under the valve spring to stop the valve rotating. Pistons are spheroidal cavity type. When using an oil bath air filter and the engine gets a bit of ware a carbon build up occurs between the valve stem and vane restricting the air flow to the cylinder rendering the swirl ineffective and increasing the weight of the valve.

Edited by john1950
correction