Gas bottle trolley.

Thanks for the reply.  The earliest photo I can find was the one I attached with it being used to service a Gloster Javelin but didn’t realise it was less aircraft specific.  

Given they have approximately had a 40 year service life there is very little information available.  Would you have any ideas on the number of these used or built?

Oxy hsd a mk3 regulator. Air and nitro had mk 5.the original container and canopy at the back had a curved top see first photo. Also originally the container was the same colour as the cylinders. Black oxy . Grey air and nitro. After several accidents /incidents involving air/nitro which had identical charging point connectors. Nitro fittings were modified.i think i have more photos but they are on my pc. Laid up in bed at the moment using my tablet.

Many years ago I was the supervisor of a Oxy replen on a Typhoon. It was my very first job on Typhoon after passing my course. The SNCO told me to replenish the Oxy on an aircraft and I asked if I could have an experienced SAC. I was given an SAC who’d been on type for a few years and was more than happy to help me learn. We drove around to the GSE park and reversed up to the bottles. We got out to hook them up and I spotted that they were Air bottles. I asked the SAC if he was sure, and he replied “yep, 100%”, and I asked twice more if he was sure and even explained there were impurities in Air, and again I was told “100%”.

So off we went to fill the Oxy bottle on this jet, I jumped in the cockpit and pulled the Ejection seat back plate to get to the bottle. The SAC unwound the hose and let a trickle of gas out as is normal practice. He passed me the end of the hose and proceeded to get some more tooling. I hooked up the hose to the bottle and he produced an adapter and 2 spanner’s. I told him I only needed the one spanner as the hose connected directly to the bottle, and he was pleasantly surprised that they had at last modified the hose to fit directly to the typhoon bottle. That should have been a big clue!!

We proceeded to complete the task and return to the desk to sign up. The SNCO then asked if I’d like to observe a flare load, so off I went. After 10 minutes another NCO came to find me to ask where we had put the bottles. I told him they were in the GSE park and he replied that they weren’t. I walked out of the HAS and said “There they are, right where we left them”. At that point I realised the mistake I’d made and had to go and explain to a very understanding chain of command.

It turned out that the only set of Oxy bottles on the Sqn had been taken away for a detachment and no one had thought to mention it or get another set. 

As a consequence the SNCO wasn’t content to deplete the air from the Oxy bottle and flush with Oxygen. He decided he wanted us to cannibalise another bottle from a dead jet. Unfortunately when we accessed the bottle on this jet, a bracket was missing and we now had to complete a loose article search and find another option.

So my first day on a new Sqn, on a new jet didn’t go to well. I learnt a lot from that mistake. I learned I should trust my own instinct and question everything. I also learnt to take all “100%s” with a big pinch of salt!!

Luckily for me we are now in a culture of open reporting and a number of procedural changes were made. 

The only need for air on a Sqn is for the Survival Equipment Fitters to test the pilots kit, so the bottles are now locked up and controlled by them. When a Sqn deploys, they request extra kit rather than take the ‘in-use’ kit.  And until my mistake no one had really realised that the Oxy hose had a different connector to the Nirogen and the Tuphoon Oxy bottle had a Standard pipe fitting that the Nitrogen hose would connect directly to. Not much could be done about this so a poster was created and referenced my Murphy report (I think it was a Murphy back then).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Hair Bear said:

Fancy another one?

Photo0302.thumb.jpg.43d42fd2278f42d994d912ca05736d19.jpg

No thanks, did you post about yours much earlier in the posts in this forum?  Considering there were a few about there is very little info on them.  I am fortunate that mine has been stored in a shed for the last 25 years. If you had of had any of the equipment that attached to it I would have been interested.  

4 hours ago, Hair Bear said:

Fancy another one?

Photo0302.thumb.jpg.43d42fd2278f42d994d912ca05736d19.jpg

No thanks, did you post about yours much earlier in the posts in this forum?  Considering there were a few about there is very little info on them.  I am fortunate that mine has been stored in a shed for the last 25 years. If you had of had any of the equipment that attached to it I would have been interested.  

• 2 weeks later...