Excessive Black Exhaust Smoke Defender Wolf

Ian J

Hi folks,

So; Defender 90 Wolf. 72,000kms.  Engine starts immediately and runs well.  Over the week-end we did close to 700kms on highway (100kph)  and off road some low range and hard pulling a stuck vehicle.   All is well except when going above 33% throttle and higher rpms (engine hot) I get lots of black exhaust smoke.

I have checked air filter, intercooler and turbo elbows/hoses. Also EERG valve which seems ok but I have no idea how to test the electronics.  Yes quite a bit of carbon build up in the intercooler to manifold line but (in my view) not enough to cause the smoke.  Air outlet on the turbo is clean and very light oil residue so indicates turbo os ok (I can hear it spool up and down when driving).  I understand its not uncommon for these engines to "blow" inlet manifold gaskets, but I cannot see any evidence of that.

Any pointers very much appreciated.

Cheers

Ian

Hi 7VHU,  thanks for this.  Inlet from air cleaner to turbo is the ribbed plastic unit and is in good condition, alas no raised air inlet.

I am going to blank off the EGR and see it that has any impact.

Cheers

Hi folks,

I have blanked off the EGR valve and with the tightening all the boost hoses things have improved somewhat.  

My question now, is, is it possible to remove the intercooler without removing the radiator?  I'm thinking cleaning the intercooler, but to be fair these is no visible evidence if blockage when viewed through the outlet connection.

Cheers

Ian

If the seals are missing has someone been messing with the settings? If it has been black smoking a lot the cat's can clog up and restrict gas flow you can get a cat clean done. Unfortunately until you know if the fuel pump is set correctly it will be like fishing in the dark. Have any of the hoses delaminated internally? This may not show up until the rev's are high. Diesel engines do not have Catalytic convertors. This is a Ford evolution engine. Early engines had alignment problems with the timing belt, an upgrade kit should have been fitted to yours. As fitted the EGR system is problematic, and is very often by passed/ removed.  

Edited by john1950

There is supposed to be on the Transit, It does not work just wastes fuel. I have taken them off with a wedge of sooty tar at the front that would not shift with a soaking and pressure wash. You can see when it is over fuelling to do the burn off as the particulate filter chokes up you can see a small puff of black smoke. When I have removed the ceramic internal in the past the result is better fuel consumption and acceleration. Wolf engines stayed mechanical because of the possibility interference on the battlefield I think. Now everything is just about electronic.