CVR(T) diesel gearbox price and availability these days?

teletech

I know they have been scarce and expensive, but wondering what I should be expecting to pay and where I should be looking these days?

I suspect in a year or so there might be lots of CVR(T) parts available in Ukraine as they 'use-up' the vehicles recently given to them, but not sure they will be in the best shape to sell the remainders off.

I have shouted this from the rooftops for years since being in this hobby / interest group. It has never made me popular as a result, but I have never had anyone come back and tell me I was wrong.

I stand by it today.

"If you think items you want are expensive now, wait a few years and you will wish you had bought two or three when you could, as now there is no supply"

On 8/13/2022 at 9:49 PM, robin craig said:

I have shouted this from the rooftops for years since being in this hobby / interest group. It has never made me popular as a result, but I have never had anyone come back and tell me I was wrong.

I stand by it today.

"If you think items you want are expensive now, wait a few years and you will wish you had bought two or three when you could, as now there is no supply"

My version is: "If you see it but you don't need it now, buy it anyway.  If you see it and only need one, buy two or three".  🙂

Andy

• 3 months later...

At almost $20,000USD (including shipping and customs), I don't see myself buying more than the one for now.

I don't know if the massive numbers of CVR(T) that have gone to Ukraine of late will, in due course, wind up coming available as spares or surplus vehicles.  It might be a way for some of the locals there to make a little money when it comes time to rebuild.

So, now that I have a gearbox (yay), it would be really handy to have a checklist for reassembly.

It's not so much that I don't see what goes where, but I'd rather not get the order of operations wrong and have to backtrack or make my life harder than it has to be. 

I'd also appreciate pictures of the gearbox oil-line routing since I'm finding that non-intuitive.

1 hour ago, sirhc said:

Do you have the centre bolt, domed washers and all the shims with the vehicle? 

I don't know if I do or not.  I'm afraid between the gearbox-less Spartan, the Scorpion that was "complete" but needed a complete nut&bolt teardown, and another incomplete Spartan having been broken for spares and those spares haphazardly included in the container when both vehicles were shipped, then a handfull of  years passing, things have mixed and diffused a bit, so I'm trying to claw my way back to some semblance of order.  I found three of four fibre ring pieces used for clamping the sides of the gearbox and made a fourth.  I've not yet found the shim and bolt for the centre mount point though.  Any details would be welcome so I can turn out new parts or identify the parts I may still own.

I did find an article from April 2016 in "Craftsman" saying one must align the gearbox to the cooling fan and firewall using a sensitive level, rather than the previous method, so that's a big help in preventing me going wrong.