value

wally dugan

Ladies and Gentleman

l would like your collective opinion on the following a complete set of seventy five unopened and unread of wheels and tracks still in the packaging that they came in. Having seen secondhand ones for between five and six pounds and l know that maybe what they want for them            your thoughts are welcomed

WALLY

not interested... my thought: The problem I have with magazines is their coverage is eclectic.

So most of the time I am paying for content I have no direct interest in. When an article covers a vehicle in which I do have interest, the limitations of the amount of space available in a mag can result in the article being superficial and therefore not worthwhile - better to buy a book dedicated to that vehicle if you want "research" depth material. 
So you are left with what magazines do best:, report on current happenings, such as pictures from shows or notifications of the latest defence procurement etc. 

if you want to sell them then put them on ebay and let the open market find their "value"

Edited by john fox

Wally I have an incomplete but well thumbed collection of W&T and was wondering on their value. Generally when I see copies they only sell for 50p - £1 which I think is a severe undervaluing of the contents.

But my collection is akin to a Dinky which is chipped & has a wheel missing, your collection is like the Dinky toy that has never been played with & has the original box.

I hate to say this but nowadays magazines seem to target readers who really only want to look at colour pictures & not be bothered with too much text : (

I have a complete set, minus one I lent to someone. These are a really good magazine packed with information, but I agree with Clive's comments that people seem to want large pictures and do not have the inclination or staying power to read technical text. And from a commercial perspective I guess it is much more cost effective to fill a page with a photograph then with text that has taken days to research.

A complete set is worth whatever you can get someone to pay for it, but few will want to invest a large amount in a complete set, you will obtain a higher overall sum by selling a few at a time IMO. 

If you read Wheels & Tracks now, what is shocking is the amount and variety of vehicles for sale, and how low the prices now appear. 

I was fortunate enough to be given a complete set, minus the final copy which the previous owner loaned someone but never got it back, about five years ago now. I've been on the lookout for that final copy for a decent price but no luck quite yet. 

It is interesting what people say about pictures. Personally I've always learned more by looking at an image and taking in what that tells you. For example, what insignia is a vehicle carrying, what is in the background etc. I suppose it shows that everyone is different. 

I liked the Dinky Toy analogy mentioned earlier in this thread in relation to the price of a mint set of W&T. 

Scott