What do you know about UIN A1021A ?

rockyward

I have recently acquired a 1974 Series 3 Lightweight Land Rover and decided to buy the B Card from RLCArchive for it.

The reg was 17FM71, so it was an Army vehicle.

I am trying to make sense of the rest of the information on the B Card.

The UIN ia A1021A, which I understands means it is a Army Permanent Unit but I cannot find what regiment 1021 decodes to.

The vehicle's 7 year service was detailed as 25 FD Regt RA BAOR, does that decode to The 25th Field Regiment of the Royal Artillery in the British Army of the Rhine in Germany ?

Thanks

Screenshot from 2022-04-04 14-09-01.png

Screenshot from 2022-04-04 14-08-18.png

UIN stands for Unit Identification Number which every unit in the British Army has its own unique number. Army UINs begin and end in A. I don't know about Navy and RAF but it is fair to assume that they begin and end in N and R respectively. I'll try to look up A1021A at work tomorrow.

It is most likely that A1021A is indeed 25 Field Regiment RA.  This regiment moved to Dennis Barracks, Muensterlager in February 1974 and your vehicle, from the B Card was issued to them in the March.  The batteries were 35, 54 and 93 Field Batteries RA.  The regiment was equipped with Abbot 105mm SP Howitzers.  The UIN on a B Card is usually the last unit the vehicle served with as it was a pencil entry, changed as the vehicle moved to different units.  It would retain the "A" suffix as long as it was on the books of a major unit (regiment/battalion).  If I remember rightly, only if, for some reason, it was necessary to allot it to a sub unit which had an accounting autonomy - such as being independent would the suffix change.

10 68

12 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

It is most likely that A1021A is indeed 25 Field Regiment RA.  This regiment moved to Dennis Barracks, Muensterlager in February 1974 and your vehicle, from the B Card was issued to them in the March.  The batteries were 35, 54 and 93 Field Batteries RA.  The regiment was equipped with Abbot 105mm SP Howitzers.  The UIN on a B Card is usually the last unit the vehicle served with as it was a pencil entry, changed as the vehicle moved to different units.  It would retain the "A" suffix as long as it was on the books of a major unit (regiment/battalion).  If I remember rightly, only if, for some reason, it was necessary to allot it to a sub unit which had an accounting autonomy - such as being independent would the suffix change.

10 68

Thanks, I had seen this info as well.