Lake & Elliot jack

B series

I have been sorting out a corner section of my workshop, and have discovered I own a nice working vehicle Lake & Elliot 4 ton jack. But for some reason the handle does not fit the jack, it is close but is approx 3mm to tall to slide into the jack receptor.  Have a got a jack handle for a larger or next size /model jack? This looks the correct size jack for either my Austin K9 or  Humber 1 Ton.

DSC06886.JPG

DSC06887.JPG

DSC06889.JPG

DSC06890.JPG

I've got one of those. I can measure the end of the handle if you like.

You realise you have to raise the pull ring up to allow the handle end to engage fully. Might the pin be jammed so as not to allow the pull ring to be raised fully?

Thank you Clive for your observations and offer to measure your 4 Ton jack handle.

The pull pin is free, but the handle does not enter the jack to get near the pull pin.

The jack handle I have, which is a rectangular steel bar with wooden shaped 1/2 handles riveted to both sides, and notches and a pin at the other end. It measures 915 x 32 x 10 mm. I am sure this is a Lake & Elliot jack handle.  However the  jack  opening for the handle measures 26 x 8mm.  Smaller by 6mm  and 2mm compared with the handle.

So it seems to me that I have a mis matched handle and jack.  Maybe I have a jack handle for next size jack?  What is general view?

To MB1944

I agree with you that imperial data was used back then, but myself, my workshop and my industry upgraded to metric and other ISO & UN Standards  early 1970's.  So all my measuring equipment is metric. I don't think in imperial, which is why for me buying gasoline in litres and measuring distance in miles is really weird.  And miles per gallon is still talked about by some people!  And as for buying milk in litres and beer in pints, what's that all about?

13 hours ago, B series said:

To MB1944

I agree with you that imperial data was used back then, but myself, my workshop and my industry upgraded to metric and other ISO & UN Standards  early 1970's.  So all my measuring equipment is metric. I don't think in imperial, which is why for me buying gasoline in litres and measuring distance in miles is really weird.  And miles per gallon is still talked about by some people!  And as for buying milk in litres and beer in pints, what's that all about?

About as daft as tyre sizes, width in mm and wheel diameter in inches.

Somehow mpg makes more sense than the number of litres to drive 100km while ft lbs torque is easier to get your head around compared to Newton metres.

Edited by radiomike7
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

Reviving an old thread

Having recently restored a Lake & Elliot S356B 4 ton jack (similar to the one mentioned at the start) I asked fellow member fv1609 for some measurements of the jack handle so as to make one for my jack. While thanking him, he suggested to post the jack resto and handle remanufacturing on this thread. Everything was done with no fancy machinery .... drill, wirebrush, angle grinder and elbow grease. This is to encourage people that home workshop skills can do the job as well.

Thanks again for your help fv1609.

315563596_978509556391780_7452372769560749016_n.jpg

315303093_1149083475713036_7885520422686018083_n.jpg

05.jpg.b0f2ef50eca72c8fb72fcbcffc4b289e.jpg

06.jpg.7185b69429c973b74de728dba03b1aed.jpg

07.jpg.6e52c702478848e630dae9835a604ef4.jpg

• Like 2

Andym, yes unscrew the top and everything should come apart. No small parts that will go flying out or anything. Here's a link of my Facebook Page which show some resto details and pictures to give you an idea of what to expect

https://www.facebook.com/bobscornerrestoration/posts/pfbid02No5trrYkdzr5JnvEnF1KdfqvgkarTkVH9gvgDa158YmZVWJY6c4tKmnhryBGRoHCl

Also, note that at the bottom you'll see two screws. You don't need to remove them to dismantle the jack. They hold a ball bearing that works with the plungers. I thought they needed to be removed first but couldn't manage. Eventually I found that they were welded on the inside. 

Bob