2 James ML's to be restored

welbike

Hi all, 

Have never had a James ML, but 2 years ago, I was offered a lot of them, all in bits, and in a terrible state, but had the right numbers, so did buy 3 of them, 2 went to the UK, and I was going to restore the last one myself, so I started with that, but then was offered another one, so it had some parts that were missing on mine, and bought that too, so now am stuck with 2 projects!

I had already bought several parts in the UK, even before this, like an NOS petrol tank, headlamp, cylinder, and more small bits, and a nice valve lifter lever from Ron, so had most of the parts grit blasted, and primered, the frame numbers suggested they should be painted brown, and it took a lot of time, to get the colour to my liking, but it's OK now.

So hope to spray in coming spring, and assemble everything.

But the thing that prompted me to start this, is, that I bought a second NOS headlamp yesterday (after I missed out on another one in Italy, last year), so I'll start with those pictures! wasn't cheap, but am very happy with it!

Cheers,

Lex

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyingfleasteve said:

What a production line you have there, Lex. I too found a NOS headlamp for my ML, it’s amazing what turns up.

I have a few small engine bits left if you need anything 👍

Keep us updated on the builds.

59FACE78-FB20-490C-A3A3-DED0ED169159.jpeg

Hi steve by any chance you dont have a spare petrol pipe and a inlet manifold that you can sell many thx in advance.

27 minutes ago, Ron said:

They were also known as a "midwifes" bike. Mine is 1939.  Ron

James 120.JPG

James 126.JPG

Good grief, can you imagine riding one of those 32 miles each way during the winter? Coincidentally my grandmother was the local midwife in Leek, perhaps it was originally hers.

Edited by radiomike7
  • Like 2