Velocette MAC WD (MDD)

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I found myself with a few hours to spare so I managed to get a further along with the bike.

My new exhaust and silencer have now also arrived from Armours so I am doing a test fit before spraying. Looks as if the silencer hanger needs welding on, once I have the exhaust system on the bike…..

1CE21408-C997-426B-B774-A63917495BE1.jpeg

A4185FE9-E9F7-4AB6-9DF1-71662F348449.jpeg

• Like 1

Coming on nicely Steve. It's good that Armours make the correct front pipe and fish tail now. When I bought mine, the fish tail was just some generic thing which I cut off and welded on a fish tail from an original civy silencer. 

The front pipe they offered at that time was the smaller diam MAF type without the foot rest joggle. So I took the whole bike to my tube guys with some factory pictures and they made my bespoke pipe.

Ron

DSCF4335.jpg

DSCF4338.jpg

Thanks Ron.

Yes, it’s good to get the exhaust and silencer ‘off the shelf’ it’s fits rather nicely I must say.

once I have fettle with it and sprayed it up I guess I need to turn back to those blasted wheels!

I finally managed to find so suitable foot pegs too, just need to make the spacers now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

So it’s taken many weeks to strip the front wheel, order new parts, rebuilt and fit it. Sometimes the simplist of jobs turn out to be the most trying. 

I have managed to make some really pleasing progress with the bike and it’s finally all back together! 

The Dynamo belt casing and cover isn’t correct so currently I am on the hunt for the correct bits but it’s great to have the bike together again.

A few more jobs before I can start using it, it would be great to get some miles in before it’s stripped down and painted.

im getting there 🙂

C300E133-4CB5-4BCB-B9C2-C2EF4B14351C.jpeg

2DEBCD44-C5EF-4804-9467-09CB07BA8895.jpeg

3FAE49D2-54AD-488C-BD96-06D763AA076F.jpeg

56D450F5-BDDD-4078-975D-77B0F17B2AD3.jpeg

F50E0A4E-CDFF-4A29-A276-A0D80F6E4DEC.jpeg

• Like 3

I have the correct twist grip on my MDD, but with a standard sprung loaded Bowden cable. It's been my intention for some time to try and obtain a correct push/pull cable. I'll see what I can find out.

The MAF had a standard twistgrip.   Ron

DSCF4756.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having studied the push-pull throttle cable idea at length and spoken to someone who has had experience of them, I decided on a compromise. I already had the complete pre war MAC twistgrip and had managed to get the correct end cable fitting made some time ago.

I used some 7.5mm outer speedo cable and got my engineer mate to turn down and threaded a 5/16" cable adjuster to the small carb top adjuster size of 7/32" x 40 tpi. and by trimming off 1/4" of the plastic sheathing each end it sits snug in both fittings. 

I then ran the standard Bowden inner cable through this oversize outer, so the throttle works just as normal with its sprung return slide, but looks like the original push-pull type. Ron

nSDmzP7 (3).jpg

DSCF4775 (2).JPG

Edited by Ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Ron and co., I have got a MDD Velocette which is waiting for final completion and bits after a stalled restoration. I have not located the frame number, frame is painted. Perhaps I could join the forum please to spur me on. Cheers Russ