Velocette MAC WD (MDD)

Ron

From the bottom of that "V" cutout to the edge of the number plate is about 2". Yours looks much longer.

I would start by measuring 2 1/4 " back from the edge, drill  1/4" hole and open it to say 3/8", then slit down the middle and re-work that piece. Ron

Thanks Ron. I have communicated with Dave so the cable will be underway shortly!

With all of this poor weather I have managed to obtain a lot of the missing bits, after Ron’s very helpful information regarding the number plate I stumbled across an original which I swiftly bought. Would any Velocette owners be kind enough to share a photo of the exact position of the plate onto the rear mudguard, please? My holes do not quite line up.

0E2A7298-8D08-4055-8A60-937C54B5B1AB.jpeg

8A4C2051-B028-45C3-99F7-4641E1F7AF03.jpeg

07B865CF-E6D0-4AF6-A823-4E07CE315CE6.jpeg

Steve what is wrong with the pictures I posted on Monday in this thread. They show clear enough the number plate position. 

I'm not sure what other models were fitted with a nearside tool box? Another thing to note, is the "D" shaped pressing in the middle should go inwards. The pressing was modified to outwards for the MAF to accommodated a pocket for the riders handbook. This style was subsequently carried on for post war models.  Ron 

VELO MDD 635 UXG 031 (2).jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

Hi Ron.

Yes the photos were a great help thank you, sorry I should have been more specific, I have two pre existing holes at the base of the rear mudguard and neither line up with the appropriate number plate hole, if I set the number plate ‘correctly’ at the top. I could not quite tell from your photos where the bottom of the number plate should sit? I guess what I am wondering, is my rear mudguard section been shortened at some point as it does not look as long as yours 🤭. If you would be kind enough to confirm the measurement of yours from the base of the number plate to the bottom of the mudguard this might clear things up.

looking at the rear number plate on another of the original photos I noticed there appears to be a plate riveted to the top of it? Possibly a contact plate?

A0E213CD-C1FF-4D9F-9C45-1E1B14453CB1.jpeg

AB60F932-E8D9-4942-8931-FF86FB1F39A3.jpeg

Thank you!

I went to the shed today to find most of the oil on the floor, removing the tap fitted to the oil tank feed was a bad idea. I think the oil escaped through the drive side crank case bearing and onto the floor. I have just purchased a Velo anti wet sumping oil valve, as Rons, which I hope will fix the problem….

Steve bit gloomy in the museum this morning! But from top to bottom, my number plate is about 9 1/2". The bottom edge virtually sits on the top of the clothes peg clasp. The clasp then takes up the rest of the mudguard. Ron

DSCF4262.JPG

Ok, so I have ventured into the shed and braved the cold to investigate why my number plate is not quite sitting right. The tail section of the rear mudguard has definitely been shortened! Just an inch or so but it explain all of my head scratching. The good news is it appears the length has been removed from the top section so I may be able to repair it….

In the interim, I have started to repair the original number plate which I picked up, being quite thin metal it took a while to weld but it’s now ready for filler and priming.

4D6EBD4B-43B9-4562-A272-06F36B6A4993.jpeg

F676EAEC-CE57-486B-91B5-17A818131CE8.jpeg

C5C8DF1B-830B-4156-99C5-F4A7505AD1A7.jpeg

Since my decision to give my MDD a makeover and spray it Khaki instead of its Olive Drab, I put it on the bench today and got the tank, saddle, exhaust and wheels off, and removed the tyres from the wheels. 

I thought it best to do a trial fit of the bash plate that Jan made. The only issue I encountered which was my fault really, was I had to bore the foot rest mounting holes bigger to 3/4". Because although I'd given Jan the size of the threaded ends of the foot rest shaft as 7/16", the shaft itself is a 1/2" square which is about 3/4" from corner to corner. 😣

Otherwise it lined up nicely. The rear strap which was loose, I bolted on loosely with a 10mm nut and bolt and oversize holes. Once the strap was bolted to its anchor point on the mudguard, I nipped up the 10mm bolt and welded it on, removed the 10mm and welded up the hole. A good half day spent.  Ron

DSCF4287.JPG

DSCF4288.JPG

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 9:41 AM, flyingfleasteve said:

Hi Ron.

Yes the photos were a great help thank you, sorry I should have been more specific, I have two pre existing holes at the base of the rear mudguard and neither line up with the appropriate number plate hole, if I set the number plate ‘correctly’ at the top. I could not quite tell from your photos where the bottom of the number plate should sit? I guess what I am wondering, is my rear mudguard section been shortened at some point as it does not look as long as yours 🤭. If you would be kind enough to confirm the measurement of yours from the base of the number plate to the bottom of the mudguard this might clear things up.

looking at the rear number plate on another of the original photos I noticed there appears to be a plate riveted to the top of it? Possibly a contact plate?

AB60F932-E8D9-4942-8931-FF86FB1F39A3.jpeg

That plate is strange, not the size of a contract plate, more like the Matchless/Norton spare frame, engine or spare gearbox plates.  OK, had a better look at the picture, and it does look like a rectangular contract plate, sorry for the confusion! 

Lex

tags004.jpg

AS31183959.jpg

Edited by welbike
additional info

17 hours ago, welbike said:

That plate is strange, not the size of a contract plate, more like the Matchless/Norton spare frame, engine or spare gearbox plates.  OK, had a better look at the picture, and it does look like a rectangular contract plate, sorry for the confusion! 

Lex

tags004.jpg

AS31183959.jpg

👍 it would be good to see a picture of an original Velocette contract plate if one still exists….

Edited by flyingfleasteve
Spelling

So I have been plodding on taking each small job one at a time……the number plate is now repaired.

The tail section of the rear mudguard had a nasty chunk missing right on the bottom corner, I have the remnants of a Matchless G3 mudguard which was perfect for the repair job! 

391266F7-65A7-4DB7-87DB-B08BAF023C8A.jpeg

07CFFAAA-95DB-4FBB-8A26-26420D9B8917.jpeg

5BBB214C-B7BA-49A6-B246-3B54CFCD98B8.jpeg

Edited by flyingfleasteve
Missing Photo
  • Like 1

We are sort of working on the same parts Steve. As I take mine apart for it's repaint.

I've done the wheels first to allow more hardening off time this cold weather before the tyres can go on. Ron

PS Lex there is only one contract number recorded for these C7974 for 1200 bikes

IMG_5727.jpg

DSCF4295 (2).JPG

Edited by Ron

Yes Ron, it appears we are working on similar parts.

My aim is to get the newly renovated section of mudguard fitted along with the number plate and correct Miller tail lamp. I hope to progress to installing the rear carrier, fitted in place of the civi muguard stays. I have managed to get hold of a nearside tool box too so lots going on! 

As a side note, I purchased this little gem this week, not strictly for my MAC WD but a nice little read!

CD9AB1F8-5395-44C6-88D2-06172712B1C5.jpeg