Velocette MAC WD (MDD)

Ron

I was just thinking the same Ron, your colour appears very similar indeed.

Now that I have done a ‘dry’ fit with most of the newly fabricated parts I have stripped all the bits back off ready for prepping and priming, the front wheel is now off too, ready for a new tyre.

Although the bike will be fully restored in the fullness of time I want to get it to roadworthy status this season, so it may remain multi coloured for a short while. This will enable me to do some shake down miles and to ascertain if the engine or gearbox need addition work. It also gives me the opportunity to round up the last of the missing items.

DBB90D39-C50D-4210-BC8E-10C1C8D63930.jpeg

558F35E4-A05D-48DA-ABFB-27CB59B1080F.jpeg

Good idea Steve to get a few miles before a final strip.

Veloce must have had a real aversion to Lucas! Even the battery is  EXIDE. We did some research and hunting down pictures and Arnaud made a great job of a dummy. I have two more on order with him.

The correct horn to look out for is a Clearhooters HF320 and even better with a MILLER lighthouse medallion badge.  Ron

DSCF4336 (2).JPG

Clearhooters HF320 rear.jpg

Clearhooter HF320 with Miller badge.jpg

• 1 month later...

So with a little bit of downtime to tend to non military motorcycle projects I finally picked up the spanner’s and started work on the Velo again. More orginal paint exposed on the wheels. Most of the backend has been rebuilt, stripped and primed. It’s now starting to go back together rather nicely too!

78D2EA54-3EBE-4736-95FC-8F08334765DA.jpeg

F740ADC6-0023-4E3A-B609-9B90C9A4B915.jpeg

9A172EA0-25F3-4CA0-8B02-D553CEA1F8B7.jpeg

2EFEC52F-7799-48BB-A106-13389349CC36.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little more progress over the long weekend. I replaced the Miller light switch as I had a crack in my original, the headlamp is now complete and Dynamo in. unfortunately before the wheels can go back on both the front and back bearings need attention/replacing. The rear bearings came out without to much hassle, however, for the life of me I cannot get the front bearings or spindle out. Has anyone any experience with this?

F29266E7-F573-442F-BA80-47AF6F340712.jpeg

0D170E96-C1E5-461E-8004-768DD23EAA61.jpeg

5BAB2EC1-11C3-403F-B860-5DCEDD398906.jpeg

Steve the front bearings should be the Timkin taper type.  To remove the roller cones, take off the brake plate and undo the adjusting nut and it's lock nut and then the dust cover on the left side.  Now tap the spindle out with a copper hammer towards the "BRAKE DRUM SIDE" which will bring out the right roller cone, the left cone can then be pushed out. 

If the bearings clean up ok, then just repack and assemble the opposite way. If they need replacing, you will have to punch out the outer cups.  Ron

Edited by Ron

I was going to say exactly the same thing. You will have to hit harder Steve. 

Stupid as it is!! It's how Matchless did it. I've never come across anything more silly. You adjust the bearings by screwing in a retainer against the outer cup. Too far and you have to start over gain by drifting the outer cups back....Doh!!

Ron

For Matchless, when the bearings are unusually tight, I just run a hone through the hub, there's no need for them to be that tight, but once adjusted, (just a little play to be felt at the wheel rim) they will give a lifetime service, seen more destroyed by standing still, and water or moisture gone into them, and turning rusty over the years, than by actual use.

Cheers,

Lex

Thanks Gents.

A bigger hammer it is.

Both bearings are packed in so tight it’s pinching the spindle which is hardly turning. 

It looks as if the rear wheel bearings are easier to replace, I can see there is a screwed retainer / adjuster plate to remove first, I am guessing a special tool is required.

FD133E4A-FD50-4177-A5ED-964E174FDD01.jpeg

You can probably make something by drilling three holes in a plate and tack welding three suitable size old bolts/screws as pegs.  

I'm away till Sunday with my WM20 to a small DR rally in Droitwich.

Cheers Ron