Vintage wines...

martylee

OK, this is perhaps not what you expected to find here, but what the h**l!

I work with wine for a living and for fun I looked into the war year vintages. This is what I've found out so far. Much of the datas are based on Domaine de Chevalier in Bordeaux.

1939: an average year. Some harvest were interrupted by the start of the second world war.Fresh and fruity wine with good tannins

1940: a fairly good year-Complex flavors-fine and tannic

1941: a poor year-Humid and cold- Very few good wines-

1942: an average year-tannic and acid-hard wine-

1943: a very good year- hot and dry- early ripenning-mellow and rich wine with round tannins

1944: an average year-Fine and elegant

1945: a great year- The victory year- spring frost earl may in bordeaux-hot and dry summer-An historic vintage with remarkable quality-Great tanins and richness.

Marty

would be interesting (in a sort of gory way) to know that the vintages of wines were like that grew on area's that had seen bloodshed.

Would it have affected its body (sic)

Any idea's, Marty ??

Andy

intresting and scary thoughts you have there! Perhaps I can add some info to the subject to keep you from sleeping tonight!? ;-)

Among most quality produceres of wine, they believe that the soil is more important than the grape. The grape is just a tool to get taste out of the ground. In burgundy region of France they say that the munks tasted the soil to find out where to plant the vineyards.

As for the bloodiest vineyards I guess that would have to be in Germany because of the battles crossing the Rhine. Here the vinyards lay in the hills above the river. As for Normandie, they are more known for their cider and calvados. But the belief i still that the soil is important. Think of that the next time you have a french cider.

Marty

If you would like to buy some of these wines, we know they would look great in the back of your truck... :-D

The world record for a case of wine is currently held by Christie's Los Angeles, which in September last year sold six magnums of Mouton Rothschild 1945 for $345,000 (£172,000). :whistle:

Marty

intresting and scary thoughts you have there! Perhaps I can add some info to the subject to keep you from sleeping tonight!? ;-)

Among most quality produceres of wine, they believe that the soil is more important than the grape. The grape is just a tool to get taste out of the ground. In burgundy region of France they say that the munks tasted the soil to find out where to plant the vineyards.

As for the bloodiest vineyards I guess that would have to be in Germany because of the battles crossing the Rhine. Here the vinyards lay in the hills above the river. As for Normandie, they are more known for their cider and calvados. But the belief i still that the soil is important. Think of that the next time you have a french cider.

Marty

Well my tipple of choice, Marty, IS Calvados................ :whistle:

would be interesting (in a sort of gory way) to know that the vintages of wines were like that grew on area's that had seen bloodshed.

Would it have affected its body (sic)

Any idea's, Marty ??

Andy

That is an interesting point. Bearing mind that all of the nutirents are in the top soil. After a shelling then the top soil and sub soil is going to be mixed so it will have an effect but that would also depend on how deep the top soil was in the first place.......

I guess I might as well tell you why I investigated these war years and wine making. I have several crates from Domaine de Chevalier. These are nice wooden crates that they have always used. And having a Dodge with lot's of room, well, you know the rest... And I have some old labels from Domaine de Chevalier that I'll put on some cheap bottles and put them on e-bay, Eh, in the crates of course. :whistle:

Marty

By the way, the best wines you'd not get fom regular soil which is to easy to grow in. You'd like some more resistance so the few grapes that survive will have high intensity. A little sand and some rocks so that the roots go deep down...

And that's it for Marty's wine school!

Marty

By the way, the best wines you'd not get fom regular soil which is to easy to grow in. You'd like some more resistance so the few grapes that survive will have high intensity. A little sand and some rocks so that the roots go deep down...

And that's it for Marty's wine school!

Marty

......Marty you seem to know way to much on the subject - do you take your work home with you :whistle: :dunno: