Ruddington Sales Catalogues mid to late 1961

AmphibAndy

Part of the problem is I have built up a dislike of the age related plates the DVLA issues.  It immediately suggests the car or bike is either an import or bitza ( to me anyway ) .   I love seeing proper local area plates on old machines and it grates that this bike had a plate ( not one worth much I would hazard ) and now it would have to go back on something rather less than appealing.    Maybe someone has the old Dawsons sales ledgers.?  Now I am getting desperate!  

Nice picture and thank you for the article I will read this evening.    Interesting to see the G3WO engine and box all in green as I have restored mine to be, although not a panel in tank in the photo.   Not sure where Chapmans were.  

B13AA32C-DCE2-4E0D-AC83-8C153B33C0B3.heic

Edited by AmphibAndy

4 minutes ago, 79x100 said:

Andy, there is nothing to stop you from putting a cherished number on it, is there ? A Nottinghamshire number with the correct suffix letter and three numbers ought not to be too expensive ? I agree that you shouldn't have to.

I can do of course.    I think its probably fair to say that both my  late father and I , however have the bit between our teeth on this one.   But as you said previously I may have to concede defeat to the bureaucracy. 

"Destroy the records", must surely rank alongside the "pull up the bridges " instructions of Beeching.  at best crass stupidity, and at worst blatant vandalism 

24 minutes ago, AmphibAndy said:

I can do of course.    I think its probably fair to say that both my  late father and I , however have the bit between our teeth on this one.   But as you said previously I may have to concede defeat to the bureaucracy. 

"Destroy the records", must surely rank alongside the "pull up the bridges " instructions of Beeching.  at best crass stupidity, and at worst blatant vandalism 

Hi Andrew,

A lot of counties had the registration records saved in the County archives when current registrations were transferred to Swansea, I know Kent has and other counties, so worth contacting the Nottingham County archives. They will probably do a search for a small fee.

regards, Richard

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 6:45 PM, Richard Farrant said:

Hi Andrew,

A lot of counties had the registration records saved in the County archives when current registrations were transferred to Swansea, I know Kent has and other counties, so worth contacting the Nottingham County archives. They will probably do a search for a small fee.

regards, Richard

Sorry to have missed this reply.   Sadly Nottingham County Council records were one of the Councils that were kept and were supposedly destroyed.  I still find it unfathomable  that even in the age of Microfiche machines DVLA didnt bother to keep the records.  

I think that you have to bear the spirit of the age in mind, Andy...Most people with a lost registration were more than happy with a new number bearing the latest suffix letter and they then rushed out to put a reflective plate on to impress the neighbours...Times have changed.