Spotted on YouTube. 1920s bus with 1930s body. Well composted.

andypugh

Sadly those machines will be beyond repair especially if water has got inside them. All those years of use with water soluble oil (the white coolant you often see) in factories will have done a great deal of damage too.

As to those buses....we will all agree that much worse has been restored. They need to be saved.

35 minutes ago, 8_10 Brass Cleaner said:

the machine tools are scrap. Nothing more.

The Plano-mill might be salvaged, if anyone wanted one, as the main slides are (largely) protected by the table. 

Machines always look more rusty in photos/video than in RL, too. My current lathe looked rusted beyond use in the photos, but polished up fine with a bit of wire wool. Though I would not go so far as to assume that the same is true of the lathes in the video. 

FWIW the creator of the video knows more than a bit about lathe reconditioning, he is nearly finished with a complete restoration / re-scrape of a Holbrook.

On 8/26/2021 at 2:22 PM, andypugh said:

The Plano-mill might be salvaged, if anyone wanted one, as the main slides are (largely) protected by the table. 

Machines always look more rusty in photos/video than in RL, too. My current lathe looked rusted beyond use in the photos, but polished up fine with a bit of wire wool. Though I would not go so far as to assume that the same is true of the lathes in the video. 

FWIW the creator of the video knows more than a bit about lathe reconditioning, he is nearly finished with a complete restoration / re-scrape of a Holbrook.

Matthew Look has indeed rescraped the Holbrook lathe he owns...as well as a shaper I think...

I have been trying to contact him over the plano-mill