New additions to collection

Mark Gaskell

I know this vehicle quite well, it was at Llanbedr with Quinetic until the place closed down last year. It was stored in a heated garage and quite mollycoddled, a real favourite with the staff. The airfield was used to launch and recover Jindvik drones and this was where the cranes came in, the Matador being used when a modern crane could not operate due to ground conditions and sometimes recovering the crane when it bogged down. I still have occasional contact with acouple of the ex-staff so if you have any questions I will try to get them answered for you.

Here is the latest addition which is to head for the museum next week.

Looking for help on the correct markings for this machine if anyone can help.

An AEC / Coles Mk3, ex-RAF crane. The non-folding jib and support legs are only on the RAF ones. Do you know what the RAF serial number is?

I once had to strip the jib and crane superstructure off to renew the slew bearings, that was on one from RAF Manston, and was number 32AC62. From memory and this was about 30 years ago, it was in matt green with a yellow band around centre line of vehicle. Before that, they were RAF blue grey with yellow upper surfaces as shown. Do I see a bit of blue grey showing around fuel tank area?

Do you know what the RAF serial number is?

Do I see a bit of blue grey showing around fuel tank area?

We are lucky that she comes with all her documention and has a full service history, she had a engine change in 1990 and has only done 600 miles since and has completed a total of 32,000 miles since she was built in 1958.

I will look up her serial number tomorrow, which museum will hold her history/record card.

There is the original blue showing through around the fuel tank.

A local MV dealer has a 1951 one and his is in an original all yellow colour scheme.

I will look up her serial number tomorrow, which museum will hold her history/record card.

I guess if it was last in service with QineticQ, then it now has a civvy number, try looking under the reg. plates to see if old ones are still visible. The RAF Museum at Hendon might help, but they have never been very productive when I have searched for RAF vehicle records.

She was delivered new to RAF Llanbedr on the 18/03/1958 from Steels Engineering Products, Crown street, Sunderland, as per the contract with the Direcotorate of FV, Scotland.

Reg No - RGX756 (she still carries this in Civvy life)

Chasis No - 16951

Pool No - 1304

Makers no - 5048

No number can be found similar to the one mentioned in the earlier post.

Will this allow her RAF record card to be located.

She was delivered new to RAF Llanbedr on the 18/03/1958 from Steels Engineering Products, Crown street, Sunderland, as per the contract with the Direcotorate of FV, Scotland.

Reg No - RGX756 (she still carries this in Civvy life)

Chasis No - 16951

Pool No - 1304

Makers no - 5048

No number can be found similar to the one mentioned in the earlier post.

Will this allow her RAF record card to be located.

With a registration number starting RGX, it looks like it may not have been on the RAF census. As it was delivered straight to Llanbedr, that was a Royal Aircraft Establishment site at the time, I think, laterly QineticQ. RGX regos were often used on vehicles at Farnborough, Chertsey and similar experimental bases. Check when the civvy reg. was first issued, my guess, when it was new.