New additions to collection

Mark Gaskell

It was issued when new. Thus if issued to the RAE she would not have carried any markings and so I asume she looks correct.

I would say that it was one of an Air Ministry contract, as it looks exactly as the one I knew at RAF Manston. When new it would have been in RAF blue grey colour, which you have evidence of..........and I am pretty sure the upper surfaces were yellow, as it still is. Later on when blue colour was discontinued, green was substituted, so it is correct whichever way. Certainly looks like it has had a good life. I seem to think the engine and gearbox are similar to the old Matador, where as the Army AEC Coles cranes from that period had the big 11.3 litre engine. As I had to rebuild the gearbox on the RAF crane, it reminded me.

Richard

There are 2 variants of this model, one used an AEC chassis the other a Coles chassis. From (dim) memory the visible difference was the depth of the chassis rails, I think the one from Llanbedr had the Coles chassis. No doubt if I am wrong on this Richard will be able to correct me.

There are 2 variants of this model, one used an AEC chassis the other a Coles chassis. From (dim) memory the visible difference was the depth of the chassis rails, I think the one from Llanbedr had the Coles chassis. No doubt if I am wrong on this Richard will be able to correct me.

Degsy,

You are correct in that it is a Coles chassis, I think it is a Model L1210 7 ton. I always think of them as AEC because apart from the chassis, all the running gear is AEC. I recollect it being awkward to drive, due to the position of the clutch pedal.......so long ago, but think it was in front of the gear lever !

The later ones we used to get in ,were based on the Militant Mk1, with a heavier capacity, mainly used for bridging.

Richard

I can confirm after looking through the 2 foot high pile of paper work that was supplied with her that she is a L1210, I have forgot the drawing number but she is classed as a bridging crane rated at 10 tons.

The paperwork starts from the factory delivery note in 1958 to her last service in 2004, there is every service sheet, insurance certificate, list of faults and parts used etc etc all the way through her life, at the end she was only doing 8 miles between services.

In 1996 she had a fancy lift computer fitted and the new engine in 1990 cost £1250 +vat, the last part to be fitted was a number plate lamp at a cost of 40p.

Had good fun with her to day as we got the crane engine fired up and ran the crane, however a blown fuse in the computer had us confused for a while as some crane functions would not operate and some would.

Is the steering supposed to be very, very heavy as you can just about turn the steering wheel. All the pedals are over to the left with the clutch more or less in front of the steering column, so as you say makes it very akward to drive.

Is the steering supposed to be very, very heavy as you can just about turn the steering wheel. All the pedals are over to the left with the clutch more or less in front of the steering column, so as you say makes it very akward to drive.

They are a heavy vehicle, the weight imposed on front axle is 6 tons, so steering is not like modern lorries, it is the old Armstrong type :-D. There is a feature on this type of crane that you can drive the vehicle from the crane cab, transfer box is driven by a large electric motor. Steering is done by engaging the electric motor on the steering column and operating a joystick control in the crane cab, it all seems a bit erratic until you get used to it. Find a big open space when you go to try it :-)

Richard