XH 558

yogi

Vulcan XH558 took her first test flight today 18th OCT 07. Hopefully we will be seeing the old bird at shows once more. Congrats to all the teams that have put in many man hours to restore this wounderful peice of British history back were she belongs. :tup: :tup: :tup: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Lets hope the next planes to fly will be a Lightening and a Bucc. They have them both at Bruntinthorp as well as the Vulcan. Imagine a flight of true Classic Jets, the Vulcan now on final test flights 90% of them are now air-worthy.

Gnat.

Hunter.

Sea vixon.

Vampire.

Venom.

Vulcan.

Jet Provest

and soon to be joined by the Jaguar, Harrier and Tornado GRs.

OH the sites and sounds of the old style air shows would all come flooding back to you. Is it just me or has air shows lost that, Getting up in the early hours, traveling miles to see planes whizzing around at break neck speeds, getting soaked to the skin and food poisoning from a dodgy burger vans? :dunno: :dunno:

Lets hope the next planes to fly will be a Lightening and a Bucc. They have them both at Bruntinthorp as well as the Vulcan. Imagine a flight of true Classic Jets, the Vulcan now on final test flights 90% of them are now air-worthy.

Gnat.

Hunter.

Sea vixon.

Vampire.

Venom.

Vulcan.

Jet Provest

and soon to be joined by the Jaguar, Harrier and Tornado GRs.

OH the sites and sounds of the old style air shows would all come flooding back to you. Is it just me or has air shows lost that, Getting up in the early hours, traveling miles to see planes whizzing around at break neck speeds, getting soaked to the skin and food poisoning from a dodgy burger vans? :dunno: :dunno:

And likl;ey to be joined by The Red Arrows. :dunno:

She is one of the few air frames I wanted to see fly again. To think that she and her sisters could carry un-presedented fire power to all for corners of this spinning bit of rock used to frighten the hell out of me as a boy. :shake: :shake: :shake:

Just as you thought it was safe to go out side, Its back XH558 the last of the V force bombers :bow: :bow: :bow:

Don't forget and rather apt, there only combat mission was the Falklands, and carrying conventional weapons. I believe it is also the worlds longest ever bombing mission. Thankfully they never had to perform there primary role. As for the Buccaneer, now that is just plain gorgeous, anyone remember the film of Bucks at low level during a US bombing competion, when I say low the wingtips were picking up dust, the US commentators comments were spectacular.

I can remember the Buccs doing bombing runs on the center ranges (Larkhill). They used to come out the bombbard area at tree top level. Hell made use with camaras s**t a bit. Never maneged to get a picture cos you never heard them coming till they were right on top of you. Not like the yanks doing low level bombing at 35.000 FT. Sorry to all American folk only jokeing...................................25,000FT :rofl: :rofl:

I believe it is also the worlds longest ever bombing mission. Thankfully

I think that record was lost to a USAF B-2 'Spirit' flying from its base in the US to Iraq and back during the 2nd Gulf War. Missions to Iraq launched from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri, resulted in missions lasting over 30 hours and one mission of over 50 hours.

Steve

I can understand if your referring to missions flown by the B-52's in Vietnam I m sure those were at 25,000 or higher altitudes but I have VHS tapes of F-104 thunder chief's dropping drag assisted bomb's at conciderably lower altitudes something like 300 feet , given the Jungle trees stand 100 tall or so and with heavy clouds and hills thats pretty darn low, while thats still high compared to stirring up dust with the aircraft .

I think that record was lost to a USAF B-2 'Spirit' flying from its base in the US to Iraq and back during the 2nd Gulf War. Missions to Iraq launched from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri, resulted in missions lasting over 30 hours and one mission of over 50 hours.

Steve

Ahh, but did they hit their target when they got there ??