Fort Southwick

I was lucky enough to get an unofficial tour of Fort Southwick today where the pounds collection has a new unusual type of display along with the giant toy railway. the fort is being used as a park and ride for the NHS at the moment and the car park has been decorated with the vehicle collection, cool :-D

I spent most of my childhood playing in the fields around the fort and lived within a stones throw in the sticks near Southwick. It was amazing to see the tunnels, original and ww2 (boy they are deep!) having spent years looking at the shaft entrances in the fields on the farm my dad worked on.

I love the matchstick men painted on the steps, exactly how we felt!!!

Baz

not open to the public at the moment, unless your working for NHS!. Fort Nelson is very similar and just down the road, http://www.fareham.gov.uk/town/activities/places/fortnelson.asp

We are going to see if they will let a few enthusiast have a poke and nose day, will let you know.

Baz

Hey Baz,.......I DO work for the NHS. :-D how do I get a look see, PM me, if its a delicate situation. ;-)

I trust and hope there are plans afoot to give those vehicles a proper and secure home some short time in the future lest mother nature or Vandals reduce them to simple piles of rust and what once was rubber .

I hope so too, there are more vehicles to join the fleet, including a chieftan and an Abbot.

• 14 years later...
On 10/14/2007 at 3:45 PM, Bodger Baz said:

I was lucky enough to get an unofficial tour of Fort Southwick today where the pounds collection has a new unusual type of display along with the giant toy railway. the fort is being used as a park and ride for the NHS at the moment and the car park has been decorated with the vehicle collection, cool 😄

I spent most of my childhood playing in the fields around the fort and lived within a stones throw in the sticks near Southwick. It was amazing to see the tunnels, original and ww2 (boy they are deep!) having spent years looking at the shaft entrances in the fields on the farm my dad worked on.

I love the matchstick men painted on the steps, exactly how we felt!!!

Baz

Hello Baz. It's been a while but do you have a contact for Emma Pounds at the Fort Southwick Company Ltd? Kind regards. Peter.