Vehicle number plate changes 2021

Folks, from the new April 2021 tax year Black and White number plates are only permitted on vehicles built before 1st Jan 1980, and if used, permission must be obtained from the DVLA first. (CORRECTION - by applying for Historic status) The fine is apparently £1,000 (or up to) for non compliance. Ouch!

Also in a crackdown on road users trying to defeat number plate recognition cameras, irregular spaced letters / numbers will be illegal and so will B&W plates if it is deemed they are of a colour shape or design that may defeat the speed cameras etc.

I hope that won't put an end to those silver and black registrations where the letters / numbers are raised slightly. I would not want members fined an EXTRA £1,000 on top of the normal penalty for speeding in their Scammell Pioneer!

(PARAGRAPH DELETED)

PS - also buy a GB sticker if you ever want to go to Normandy or Arnhem in 2024 (assuming covid has gone by then), as the GB sign within the blue EU flag on vehicle registration plates is not valid now, on any new UK registered vehicle.

Edited by LarryH57

I read this in the Express and I wonder if the fact that a vehicle has to be Historic status to use B&W plates is being confused with the need to 'get permission' to use them, as the permission comes from requesting Historic status in the first place.

I guess there are a few cars around that use B&W plates that are not Historic status, like the 1960s Landrover 110 that I saw with a J registration!!!!!

Also it seems the use of EU flag on registrations, is still permitted for a while on cars that were built / sold prior to 1st Jan 2021.

I will  look for clarification.

Permission for the use of a Black and White registration plate comes from two things; the vehicle being built before 1st January 1980 AND the vehicle being registered as Historic status. Thats all!

However, that could be annoying for someone who can't get historic status on a technicality and still pays car tax but wants to use their age related B&W registration.

Edited by LarryH57
  • Like 1

I'm confused as to why this is an issue - surely you wouldn't display a military vehicle with black and white civilian plates that it never carried in service?  Far better under those conditions to use reflective plates for the civilian registration as a safety measure and revert to painted white on black for the military VRN.

Andy

21 hours ago, johnwardle said:

It has been illegal to use white on black number plates on vehicles registered after 1973! I have attached the latest number plate information from the DVSA, page 10 has the relevant information.

vehicle-registration-numbers-and-number-plates-inf104.pdf 261.25 kB · 3 downloads

John,

Read that document again, it states  "vehicles manufactured after 1st Jan 1973". I have owned a lorry since 1987 when it was registered by the dealer, it was manufactured in 1943 and stated on the registration document, it has had black plates all that time with no questioning.

• 11 months later...

It seems there are even newer rules for number plates, but are those that require UK instead of GB and the plate makers details added just for NEW vehicles or NEW plates or all existing vehicles?.

At the moment my LWT , which is 1980 built and on Historic status, has the 'white' front and yellow rear plates on it, since it left service in 1991 and entered the civi market. I have not messed with the spacing of the letters and in any case I change to the Military HG plates at shows, and civi ones for the road.

I don't have any other marking or details on it so is it still legal? I have no intension of going abroad with it.

Is it still legal?

Edited by LarryH57

Surely a construction and use regs issue. The old L reg was the last legal black / white number plate. New(er) style since 1st January 1973. Nothing to do with “historic” registration. Noted that there’s been a tightening up on the mis-use of registration marks and now part of MoT.

LarryH, I’d say yes, perfectly legal.

1 hour ago, LarryH57 said:

It seems there are even newer rules for number plates, but are those that require UK instead of GB and the plate makers details added just for NEW vehicles or NEW plates or all existing vehicles?.

If going overseas the vehicle number plate should have UK on it and not GB. I have recently changed all the number plates on a fleet of commercial trucks due to this.