Jeep prop shaft.

DFC1943Fl.Lt.

Question

Hi all, can someone please tell me what the measurement for a front GPW prop shaft is as the one I have will not fit between the front axle and transfer box. The measurement from centre to centre of the UJ circlips on each end of the shaft is 59.5cm. This is in the fully closed position. will have to try and get a photo uploaded. Not sure what the one I have is off of. 

16 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Nick Johns said:

sounds like you have a propshaft  for a post war CJ Jeep, they are longer

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=154947

Thanks Nick I did think that, its about 20mm to long when I offered it up to the vehicle. 

Next question is has anyone got a spare front prop shaft for sale. 

Cheers Steve. 

If the long one bolts to the flanges and is in good condition, it might be cheaper to get it shortened than to replace it. There are plenty of companies that can do prop shaft rebuilds out there. I have done a couple myself but had to take great care to get the alignment right as I couldn't balance them. They were fine though.

David

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Herbert said:

If the long one bolts to the flanges and is in good condition, it might be cheaper to get it shortened than to replace it. There are plenty of companies that can do prop shaft rebuilds out there. I have done a couple myself but had to take great care to get the alignment right as I couldn't balance them. They were fine though.

David

Yes David had thought about going down that route. I've a couple of companies who I could ask if they feel confident enough to take on the job. I can buy a brand spanking new one but it's £208 + P&P. 

Hi all and thanks for all the input info. Managed to get the front shaft from Gavin at jeeparts uk. Think now the rear is to bloody short, would they be a set from a CJ2. Looking to me like there is too much spine showing. Any thoughts would be a help.

20210316_121545.jpg

20210316_121550.jpg

2 hours ago, Nick Johns said:

Alas looks like you have another CJ Propshaft, their rear props are shorter than an MB/GPW owing to the larger diff housing,.. look in the link below for prop lengths

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=154947

Bloody just my luck but had a cunning plan. Not sure if it will work but I've taken the yoke off the front cj2 shaft and matched it up with  the rear length of rear shaft. Offered it up and it seems ok, there is play on the slider so fingers crossed. I did notice that the difference between the war time and cj2 front shaft was only the yoke. The actual shaft lengths are the same. So the yoke from the front cj2 shaft takes up the shortfall in the rear shaft. Job done, hopefully. 😬

1 hour ago, DFC1943Fl.Lt. said:

Bloody just my luck but had a cunning plan. Not sure if it will work but I've taken the yoke off the front cj2 shaft and matched it up with  the rear length of rear shaft. Offered it up and it seems ok, there is play on the slider so fingers crossed. I did notice that the difference between the war time and cj2 front shaft was only the yoke. The actual shaft lengths are the same. So the yoke from the front cj2 shaft takes up the shortfall in the rear shaft. Job done, hopefully. 😬

20210316_201154.thumb.jpg.a9086ec3d01b003e0d829adf27bc00c4.jpg

20210316_201142.jpg

• Thanks 1