Land Rover Problems

Ian Dunn

can be defective switch , you could disconnect and see if it stops then or could be deposits on the cylinder head or the pistons which when they get hot can be enough to cause engine to diesel for a little while , in which case you need to clean them out , perhaps using an octane boost would help until you take the engine apart .

Hi All Land Rover owners!!!!

I have a problem with mine

when it is swithced off thwe engine runs on does anyone know what could cause this

we have checked all timeing etc but this is all ok

Ian,

Not at all uncommon with the 2 1/4 engine. It is usually due to a red hot bit of carbon in the combustion chamber keeping the engine running although the ignition is switched off. As already said, the Redex tune up is worth trying, also you could stall it when switching off. On later 2 1/4 L/Rovers, the carb was fitted with a little device to cut the fuel at idle to stop this happening, when ignition is cut the valve shuts off.

Richard

HI IAN,

I'VE BEEN ROUND LR IN THE MILITARY FOR 30 YEARS AND HAVE HAD TO PUT UP WITH RUN ON ALL THIS TIME ON 2 1/4 na engines, we just got told by our REME lads when you switch off leave in gear,hand brake on and jump the clutch to stall the engine.

Baz.

Daft as it may sound and I swear I'm not winding you up. Check the brake light switch, this can short onto the ignition wire and when you have the pedal depressed the engine won't stop. I've had 2 do this to me. If the engine has ben abused might be worth head off and de coke (now theres a blast from the past)

Does it have a solenoid fuel cut off that is jammed on or a voltage to it that continues after the ignition is turned off?

Some S3 FFRs had the idle increased to 800-850 rpm & to stop run on, a solenoid operated fuel cut out was fitted.

PS Sorry I see Richard has already suggested that!

Does it have a solenoid fuel cut off that is jammed on or a voltage to it that continues after the ignition is turned off?

PS Sorry I see Richard has already suggested that!

Quite alright, old chap ;-)

They were troublesome, and I have found that people have overcome an inop solenoid by opening the butterfly slightly with the idle screw, the fuel only being cut on the idle mixture passage normally.

Note when using Redex, applied neat into intake making impressive clouds of smoke

Do not get caught travelling with friend who was driving up Upton dual carriageway with no bonnet on series 1 80" sat in engine bay squirty bottle of Redex being injected whilst fiddling with carb and dist :-D :-D .

I seem to remember the conversation started :oops: :oops:

" And what do you think you are up to?"

Joy of being an apprentice

A little knowledge is bloody lethal :whistle:

HF :roll:

I had same problem once with my old minivan which strangely I've just mentioned in another thread -

Accelerated like crazy, smoked something awful, wouldn't go over 30mph, ran on for ever after ignition turned off until stalled.

Problem eventually traced to filling an empty fuel tank with a 5 gall. jerrycan of 28sec heating oil by mistake. Oh well....

Thanks for all the replies

I think it mabe it needs a de-coke (but what do i do if i can only get pepsi?)

it has slowly got worse this year, also i have trouble goig up hill, it lacks power! could this be caused by a build up of carbon as well?

Ian

If the deposits were bad enough you would get a pre ignition engine knock or pinging which would rob you of power.of course in a older engine by that I mean one with lots of miles on it you might also have very worn valves , to check for that you could do a compression test on the cylinders and see if you have only one or more cylinders that are no long doing anything useful.