British Army trestle tables

Surveyor

I have bought 2 of these and they need a bit of work to be used without getting splinters. 

Does anyone have a specification for them, as yet I have not cleaned them one is painted so not sure what the timber is, I am guessing pine. 

Help please 

• 1 year later...

I wondered if there was anything in EMER WORKSHOPS. Although it covers preservation, it is concerned mainly about long term storage & preservation of mechanical equipment.

EMER GENERAL has a large section on timber & its preservation, but little on wood once incorporated into equipment. It talks about varnish stains for "general workshop use where a cheap finish is required and of course no further finish is necessary." Linseed oil is not covered.

Turning to COSA Section H1(a) Paints, dopes & varnishes. Linseed oil was available as boiled, boiled lead-free & raw. The section specific to wooden furniture covers a range of stains & lacquers.

With no definitive guidance, I would think that if you can see no evidence of deliberate staining or lacquer then linseed oil might be the best way to go.

Incidentally I have acquired another VAOS Section J1. Although no VAOS vocabulary reference numbers are given the big selection of pictures is rather nice.

1136432210_IMG_20220414_103253(Medium).thumb.jpg.9a3f9869290d8e533d187368fd71f76b.jpg

The ones we have in use never see any kind of maintenance, the wood is just in the white, no finish at all. My thoughts are that they are ‘On Condition’, I.e. as long as they are serviceable, no maint is required. If they become unserviceable, they are either repaired or scrapped.

Please remember if using Linseed Oil for restoration to take care as any cloths used in the restoration

will SELF IGNITE if left together in a pile.

Remove or place the cloths in a fire proof container after used.

On 4/18/2022 at 11:34 AM, 2691H said:

Please remember if using Linseed Oil for restoration to take care as any cloths used in the restoration

will SELF IGNITE if left together in a pile.

Remove or place the cloths in a fire proof container after used.

I hadn't heard of that, will remember for future, i actually brushed it on, have to say not bad and I am not a joiner