Post WW 2 Vehicle Names Listing

KevinT

D Day Dodger 11 and D-Day Dodger 11 seem very similar, so are they not the same vehicle, slightly misreported? Apologies for the 11s.

Another incorrect spelling is Deterrant, which should be Deterrent.

Again, I missed the fact this had been noted, so more apologies and no more comments from me.

Edited by Ex-boy
Update.

3 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

Whoops, I nearly missed Armintiers 1914, which should be Armentiers 1914.

The vast majority of the Post War names have been compiled by Dick Taylor, i will run the name and source by him to see what he says.

Cheers

Kevin

23 hours ago, Ex-boy said:

D Day Dodger 11 and D-Day Dodger 11 seem very similar, so are they not the same vehicle, slightly misreported? Apologies for the 11s.

Another incorrect spelling is Deterrant, which should be Deterrent.

Again, I missed the fact this had been noted, so more apologies and no more comments from me.

ARMENTIERS changed for V6

DETERRANT was as spelt

D DAY DODGERS ( D-DAY DODGERS ), probably 2 different vehicles with the latter probably III ( crew error ).

Cheers

Kevin

17 minutes ago, Bob Grundy said:

Kevin

The Churchill AVRE, now at the Tank Museum, had FIREFLY on the air intake boxes when it was recovered. It is not on the list of WW2 or Post War listings. Please inform Dick.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for that. This is exactly the sort of detail we are looking for. Do you know when the Churchill was recovered? I don't suppose the census number or any other markings such as div signs were on the AVRE? Normally we would ignore names and census numbers on museum  restored vehicle as there a lot of spurious name / census number matches out there but as this is a recovered tank the name is obviously genuine.  I will drop Dick a line and let him know. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

Cheers

Kevin

On 7/31/2020 at 8:32 AM, KevinT said:

Hi Bob,

Thank you for that. This is exactly the sort of detail we are looking for. Do you know when the Churchill was recovered? I don't suppose the census number or any other markings such as div signs were on the AVRE? Normally we would ignore names and census numbers on museum  restored vehicle as there a lot of spurious name / census number matches out there but as this is a recovered tank the name is obviously genuine.  I will drop Dick a line and let him know. Thanks again and sorry for all the questions.

Cheers

Kevin

Kevin

I have now checked my 1988 Diary. It was recovered by a TA unit on 7 May 1988 from Otterburn. I got it in my yard on 14 May where it remained for 10 years 11 months for restoration. After some years as a 'runner' at The Tank Museum it suffered a catastrophic engine failure and is now sadly not a 'runner'......

There were no plates or any ID on the very rusty tank, the name FIREFLY was on the armour of the air intake plate which was hanging down on one bolt.

Cheers

Bob

Another for you that is not on the list. At The Tank Museum there is a derelict A11 Matilda 1, it is the one with A/T hits on it, now highlighted in red pint. This is named HIGHBURY, a tank of 8RTR. How do I know? well in the late 1980's we removed a front track adjusting wheel. Being curious I flatted the paintwork where the name was likely to be. It appeared and I noticed it had been painted on twice. So, 100% certain that it as HIGHBURY. Stick it on the list!

• Like 1

High Bob,

Thank you for pointing these out. I have added HIGHBURY and FIREFLY to the list which will be on V6 and credited to you.

I have not added it to the list but I assume that lurking somewhere is a photo of a Matilda II and possibly a Sherman named HIGHBURY from 8RTR?

Cheers

Kevin

Edited by KevinT

Some info from my files

Duniwassal,   Ferret, MkI, 02BA70,    4 RTR, Berlin, 

Donovan, Ferret, Mk 2, 34BA65, 4 RTR Berlin

London Bridge, Bridge layer, Churchill, 44ZR37

Mars,  AVRE, Churchill, 44ZR71

Diehard, Centurion, 05BA48, C Sqn, 4 RTR, Berlin, 1961

Dido, Centurion, 03BA33, C Sqn, 4 RTR, Berlin, 1961

B Series

Thanks Bob,

The reason I asked about the name is that all the names and numbers are from either photographs, War Diaries and personal accounts, we have tried to be careful not to use museum / restored vehicle names and numbers unless they are backed up by a photograph or documents. As you said you once owned it I was unsure about the history of the name.

Cheers

Kevin