Unit Markings?

gary0003

Hello Gary,

You have a very nice and original looking WD/CO, is it an early one? (Early type frame and rectangular toolbox).

Regards the numbered flash, the green over blue is a Reconnaissance unit, but the 76 is normally allocated to Royal Artillery units.. I’m no expert but the Combination looks like it could be fictitious.

I’ve attached an armoured division series of unit flashes, in case you want to correct yours.

Regards,

Tom

278414B3-D46C-4B6B-B77A-CB7634A45931.png

• Like 1

Hi Tom, thank you very much for your help. It was issued to the army in March 44 and came out of a barn with 2 other ww2 bikes in similar condition. It has not been restored I don’t think and still had much of the original equipment- pannier racks etc. It was supposedly returned to R/E factory in 1946 for re-furbishment and being sold off.

thanks again

Gary

76 on green over blue is listed as the junior armoured car regiment for Armoured Divisions, Middle East Forces from 21/9/41. Is there a divisional sign on the other side of the tank?

The Chilwell list shows C5108998 to be from contract C12425.

Edited by simon king

If the C number is correct and if I've got my calculations right, it should be frame number 10798? and would have been delivered by early 42.  As far as I know, only the first contract CO's were fitted with the square toolbox. Although I've fitted one to my 43 CO as I hated the gap that it leaves. 

A lot of bikes went back to Royal Enfield after the war, for re-manufacture into civilian trim and often the frames and engines were re-stamped. The fork side check springs weren't a feature on early contracts. I'd say yours is a post war restoration?

Ron

If Jan has verified it's date of manufacture as 1944.......It must be?? But I read it as 1942.  But it won't make any difference to DVLA . An age related number is just that and It's very likely a number from the 50's anyway. On your V5C it will state the year of first registration (2014?) and it will also state Declared year of manufacture 1944. DVLA won't be interested any further.

I'll nudge Jan for clarification on it's build date.  Ron

Well, I've just checked #10798 again, and I can confirm that this bike left the factory on 03/03/1944 destination War Office, Blackpool, as part of 5000 bikes for contract C/12425. The original colour for the first part of this contract would have been SCC2, the second part would have been finished in Olive Drab. The colour of this bike is neither of those I'm afraid...

The factory ledgers also show that the bike was factory rebuilt, and it left the factory gates a second time on 04/09/1946, destination Ifill (Irkbern). This name only appears once in the ledgers, and I can't find that place neither that name on Google.

Anyway, the petrol tank on this bike is the more bulbous post war Model G version... In my opinion, this colour and these markings are the result of an early (1970's...?) rebuild in military guise. But unfortunately this is not the original war time finish... Sorry... 

Jan

Edited by rewdco
  • Like 1

The problem here is likely that the contract was delayed. It was contracted in Feb 42 but not completed until 44. If you look at the census numbers they are correct for 1943/44. The frame is also a late frame  with the open stand castings. 

there are later contracts and serials that were completed and delivered before this earlier contract.

On 7/18/2020 at 11:13 AM, gary0003 said:

Thanks everyone, can anyone suggest where I might find the correct petrol tank please?

Gary.

I’ve sold all of mine, went a while back but they show up quite regularly on eBay. They are longer and sleeker the post war G and fit the frame better. I’ve a feeling the G tank was designed to give a greater clearance for the tele forks.