Movie - The Fallen

Great War truck

I came across this DVD in WH Smiths yesterday. I knew nothing about it so looked it up on the web http://www.thefallenmovie.com/FallenMainPage1.html

The photos show lots of original vehicles and equipment, but much in the same way as a living history event at the Hop Farm. Anybody know anything about it?

It is probably much in the same vein as Saints and Soldiers, but I like a good war film and actually i dont really mind a mediocre one either.

Tim (too)

I don't mind if it a bad movie either. As long as there are googd old green stuff, I'm happy. That's why I've been buying all the war movies I can get my fingers on. Long winter here in Norway...

Actually I prefer the old ones even though some aren't that good, but at least they got real vehicles. Movies from today have some computer generated planes and vehicles that ruin the movies.

I'm going to watch the trailer now.

Marty

Marty, you'll get a reputation. Most people won't watch anything military with me 'cause I keep jumping up and down at the howlers. Saw a film the other day, has the battle of Somerfeild in it. I was asked the following day what did you think, by the time finshed explaing why I thought 1 copper was armed with a Bergman MP18 rather than a Lanchester I was all on my own. Dear Marge, My friends think I'm odd..... :dunno:

My family won't watch a War film with me because I criticise all the mistakes. I must have the disease as well......

Also, it affects your children. My oldest is an A&E Nurse and can't watch 'Casualty' as she critisises this as I criticise War films.

The great movies are still the greatest... D-day, A bridge too far, Battle of Britain and so on. The main reason why they still are the greatest is that they had all the right equipment around. As I said, I hate computer animated planes and tanks. The two latest Clint Eastwood movies are very good, but I know there wasn't that many LSTs around when they made the movie...

I really liked Kelly's heroes, my uncle rented it on vcr early in the eighties and I got to watch it while quite young. Of course I didn't know which movie it was until I saw it again years later.

But it's good to know that I'm not alone.

Marty

I prefer the 'Went the day well' type films anyday.............. :-)

the British type powell/presburger films,.....Canterbury Tales and Colonel Blimp, are always watched with enjoyment.

I'm guessing you'd be right, re Battle of Britain, if they decided to atempt a remake,...................and I sincerly hope they don't,.........It'll be like the Dambusters, that is being 'computer made',............Not Real.

Dunno why they can't leave these 'classics', alone..................... :dunno:

I prefer the 'Went the day well' type films anyday.............. :-)

the British type powell/presburger films,.....Canterbury Tales and Colonel Blimp, are always watched with enjoyment.

I'm guessing you'd be right, re Battle of Britain, if they decided to atempt a remake,...................and I sincerly hope they don't,.........It'll be like the Dambusters, that is being 'computer made',............Not Real.

Dunno why they can't leave these 'classics', alone..................... :dunno:

Because they are cashing in on how good the old ones were. Look at all the various modern TV- film offshoots. It's true they don't make 'em like they used to. Most of the 'classic' British War films, the stars had served in the forces, often with distiction. I must say one modern film I think does have class, is BAT21. PS Even if 633 Squadron has an Austin Gipsy behind the bush that the officers jump into after the crash, used to own one and recognise the door. Also Battle of Britian has a plastic door bell on the cottage which Ian McShane comes out of, and that garage door :shake:

Its all a matter of costs. every movie is a balance of time and cost's . When The producers make a budget there is a limit to what the investors will put up to make the movie ,then you have everyone wanting top dollar for the rental of their property IE. vehicles, land and other props. and you have to live with most movie directors who don't know anything about the props they only know what they want to make their movie their way and forget about things being from totally wrong era's like the Vietnam era food can's ,meriamite can's? in the "German ww2 warehouse " in the movie " Force ten from Navaron" All that mattered was they "looked" right to the Director .

After all the General Public hasn't a clue ,so they can get away with all the things that drive the knowledgeable people like Us Nuts when we see such error's

Even 'new' films,.............thinking of the Dunkirk one, but can't remember what its called;................

From what I've heard, (from a reenactor mate, who extra'd, in the beach scene) the director/producer, whatever got quite ar8ie when mate queried the kit he was given to wear,.....telling them it was wrong for the period depicted,.......and he should know, thats the era he reenacts. :-) only to be told the guy had spent two years reaserching soldiers kit, etc.)

He was given 49 patt to wear,.....................totally different, exept in colour and material, to 39 patt it should have been. (or field service dress, but thats another can of worms........ :roll:)

Will probably still go and see it,.......more for seeing Saltburn/Redcar seafront transformed into Dunkirk frontage, etc.

Yup it happens alot , As to the CGI computer generated image angle . There are so few real Historic Military aircraft left of that to have a large group of the them requires the use of cgi , Perhaps some of you have seen the series in which historic dog fights have been recreated if it wasn't for the great cgi effects they could never have made the stories come to life and be understood by none pilots.