432 Hot Start Problems, what is the cause?

mac_xpert

Hi, I've read in a few places about problems with hot starting on fv432s and others. It seems to be a known problem that once hot, the engines won't restart until they have cooled. Can anyone shed some light on what the cause is? I've not yet seen any information on the cause and how to fix.

1 hour ago, mac_xpert said:

Hi, I've read in a few places about problems with hot starting on fv432s and others. It seems to be a known problem that once hot, the engines won't restart until they have cooled. Can anyone shed some light on what the cause is? I've not yet seen any information on the cause and how to fix.

Petrol or diesel??

Petrol and diesel versions are totaly different animals. One is a long 4 stroke straight 8, and the other is a compact opposed piston 2 stroke that can be lifted out and ground run with umbilical connections to the 432.. Then you have the latter incarnation with a straight 6 Cummins. 

I ran a petrol 432 for many years without issue summer of winter - the only thing that let it down once was the starter motor failed while driving to a show - did a pack lift with a 434 and changed the starter while at the show then two hours home

16 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

The Mk1 with the petrol engine ran very hot and would have vapour locking issues. I know from experience the exhaust manifolds suffered badly with the heat.

Agreed, I remember driving a petrol Explorer which would vapour lock while running in UK temperatures but hot diesels usually start immediately.

Possibly those who had issues with hot engines and vapor lock in petrol 432's could be related to the fan drive not operating correctly - as said I didn't have issues always started easily hot or cold and till now was unaware there were issues with petrol powered 432's - but you live and learn 

The engine compartments in Both Variants of 432, run VERY Hot indeed when used.

In service, we always let a MK2 (K60 Pack) run for 15 minutes at tickover to cool down. After a Major road journey. Or on Exercise.This then allowed the Heat exchanger to do it's job properly. & disperse the heat.

& then Thrown out by the Twin Fans, through the top engine louvres.

It was a long time ago now, But I cant remember about the Mk.1 Petrol. If it had a heat exchanger, or a normal radiator system. I THINK it did have an exchanger?

Andy is right.  Any armoured fighting vehicle will give lots of engineering challenges and fun.  Hot starting problems with a the FV430 range is not something to be worried about.  If it does present with that sort of fault there is something slightly wrong and it should be attended to.   Out of interest, I am working on John D's FV424 and we had a partially blocked filter on the pick up tube . The tank has already been reduced in size to give better access to electric fuel pump.  I am now in process of mounting the pump NEXT to the tank and fitting a shut off valve so that the pump can be attended to without having to partially drain the fuel tank.

John

Excellent idea John. Placing the FV434 fuel pump in the 100gallon tank was never going to make for easy maintenance of the pick up filter which seems to need it due to algae growth in the tank, presumably caused by condensation. At least on a FV432 it is in a separate collector tank which is accessible and can be isolated easily.

David

• 3 weeks later...

I have 40 Abbott’s ,432 ,434s run them for 30 years Tanksalot 

it’s something in the starter motor that stops it starting if it’s to hot it can take hours before it will spin over again 

.idle your vehicle for twenty minutes before you turn it off to cool it a bit or swap the starter.

There are three types of starter to be found on FV430s with K60 packs.  The original axial Starter No.3 Mk.1 has a thermal switch that opens at 135 degrees C to prevent the starter from overheating.  Not surprisingly, it was later realised this might not be a good idea on the battlefield so the outwardly identical axial Starter No.3 Mk.2 does not have the thermal switch.  Both types of starter were later replaced with the S152 coaxial starter which also doesn't have a thermal switch.  Note however that vehicles fitted with the S152 must have the modified DLB with starter relay as the starter switch can't cope with the higher solenoid current of the S152.

Andy