AUSTIN CHAMP MARKINGS

DINGODOUG

I have an ex-Lovat Scouts Austin Champ which has known provenance and is possibly the only surviving vehicle of that Regiment. I foolishly painted over the original, though badly worn, regimental crests which were on both sides of the bonnet. I recently uncovered these again having decided to restore the original markings and can just make out some of the details. Much of it is illegible though it appears to be a white circular surround with a white stags head in the middle and a buckle at the bottom. Underneath is a silver scroll edged in black with 'THE LOVAT SCOUTS' written in black . The dimensions are width and height about 6 inches. Does anyone know of a source of the correct format of this crest as there are several variants. Also a source of transfers of military markings.

My father served with the Tain detachment of the Lovat Scouts as OC REME Workshop and one of my earliest memories is getting a lift in a Champ sitting on his knee in the passenger seat. My Champ was used by the Elgin detachment and I have a photo of it given to me by the late Bill Topp showing his father standing beside it. He worked in the MT and the photo was taken around 1953/54 apparently.

There has been little written about the Lovats so I wondered if anyone had any old photos relating to that period.

Doug Matheson

Funnily enough after I replied to your last post I went back on to the internet to see what I could find and stumbled across the IWM which I hadn't thought of so I was only just ahead of you !! Thanks for your interest and suggestions and hope that someone out there can help. There doesn't seem to be much archive material on the Lovat Scouts which had such a brief existence though I found reference to a memorial in a wood near Lynne in Norfolk where they used to train. I kick myself when I think how we got rid of my fathers uniform which was splendid with chain mail on the shoulders however I still have his brass buttons with the crest on them.

7 hours ago, DINGODOUG said:

I kick myself when I think how we got rid of my fathers uniform which was splendid with chain mail on the shoulders however I still have his brass buttons with the crest on them. 

At least, you have saved some of your father's history. How many others have sold, given away or just dumped something only to regret it later, I know have and not just the once!

Another attempt to get ahead of you but I'm probably still in second place :).

The first 2 links are reports from local papers. The son and grandson of Lovat Scout piper Bill Millin are in 2 photos in the first one. 

The other 2 links maybe a source of information.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/west-norfolk-event-for-lovat-scouts-1-5592140

https://www.lynnnews.co.uk/news/new-memorial-to-honour-the-lovat-scouts-9002061/

https://www.totalgiving.co.uk/charity/lovat-scouts-regimental-association

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=623886.0

GERBER SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTS /3M technical support/ customer services may be able to help some years ago they  supplied me with out of  date vehicle transfers as you know they still supply most of the transfers for the MOD and had/have a reference archives

Thanks for the links which I will pursue. I didn't realise that Bill Millin was Lovat Scouts.

I have just heard from my sister who thinks we may still have Dad's dress jacket and hat so if we can get it all together we can donate it to the appropriate museum. You are ahead of me now !!cheers.Doug

Bill Millin wasn't a Lovat Scout as far as I was aware; he was HLI and Queens Own Camerons before joining 4 Commando.

Perhaps the confusion is because he was Brig Simon Fraser's (15th Lord Lovat) piper when we was the commander of 4 Commando and later 1st Special Service Brigade? Fraser himself was also not a member of Lovat's Scouts although it was founded by his father the 14th Lord Lovat.

I expect you have done a bit of google searching but what about here as a starter for ten? There is a nice regimental  plaque on the 5th row down, similar to this?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=THE+LOVAT+SCOUTS+painted+insignia&rlz=1C1GGRV_enGB751GB751&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiq6_D3xNHcAhXrDMAKHSyYCHAQsAR6BAgBEAE&biw=1256&bih=671#imgrc=4upnGp2wC1USFM: