How do I find my vehicle history

Simon Daymond

Please does anyone know how I can discover the military service history for my Mk1 Militant - 36 BM 01, chassis 0859 067 ?

Years ago I was told it over the phone by the then curator of the Museum of Army Transport, Beverley, Wally Dugan.

However it was part of a general conversation, and I couldn't find a pen!!

I seem to remember it served with REME, and a rifle regiment, but I could be wrong.

When I bought it, on the tailboard was a square which consisted of red and blue rectangles, in the middle of which was stencilled a Crown, any ideas?

Any help much appreciated.

think of all the pens I could buy for £25! but you can guarantee I'd still not be able to flipping find one! :-D

If there is an address great, if it's £25 then it's £25, if they have the records from Beverley hopefully my money will be well spent.

I hope the REME bit was right, as I like drinking tea :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

When I bought it, on the tailboard was a square which consisted of red and blue rectangles, in the middle of which was stencilled a Crown, any ideas?

Any help much appreciated.

Simon

I believe this is a generic marking to indicate that the vehicle was attached to a "ministry"unit (as opposed to a specific regiment/division).

For example my 101 carried this mark when it was assigned to the School of Army Driving and continued with it when it moved to the School of Mechanical Engineering (for the apprentices to rebuild what the leaner drivers had done to it!)

WQhen you get your history card look for any non regimental postings and see if that ties up

If you are not already a member of the MVT then I suggest you join as they have an official that should be able to trace history plus you will receive their magazines full of info

You can trace your history yourself... save your money & buy a subscription to CMV instead :whistle: