Other cushions

Great War truck

It is interesting to note the various topics concerning Jacks pink cushion. Of course Jack was not the first. Many other army drivers have had similar cushions to ease the discomfort of driving long distances. Here is a photo of a WW1 ASC lorry driver with his cushion.

width=577 height=800http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/Greatwartruck/Cushion.jpg[/img]

It appears to be a tartan rather than pink, but a cushion it is. Perhaps the driver originates from a Scottish territorial ASC unit?

Does anybody else have pictures of any other military issue or impressed cushions?

Tim (too)

Landrover military cushion

Part number LV/653782937/f

These cushions took part in a secret trial called Operation Farmer Giles to assess their capability to be comfortable whilst under enemy fire.Although the trials were hailed as a moderate success, several were lost under battle conditions and 3 had the stuffing knocked out of them.

width=400 height=300http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o72/rik242_2006/landcush.jpg[/img]

I was posted into 12 Armd Wksp in November 1982. I spent the next three years running the MRG command vehicle (a converted RL Machy wagon). This was driven by a SSGT who had been att AAC for years and was very proud of his sky blue beret. He also suffered chronic haemorrhoids.

He wasn't very tall and the driver's seat cushion in this clapped out old RL was as soft as a plank. He kept an inflated Mini inner tube handy at all times so he could sit elevated with the farmer giles out of contact with the seat.

Now there's a cushion for you to use authentically.

Yes, you are the second one to mention that. I agreed with the other one that it is actually a cushion and that he is pretending that they are bagpipes. The "mouthpiece" is too short, and he is missing the three pipes that should go over his shoulder and the one pipe that hangs down which he plays. Also I think that the shape of the "cushion" is incorrect for bagpipes. The other guys in the larger photo are all playing up and acting the fool, so a pretend set of bagpipes seems quite in context. We need a bagpipe expert for the definitive opinion - calling Canadian Scottish!

Tim (too)