Deep bronze or Camo Pics (hopefully)

Bilbo42

The photo of the green LW is mine. The other I just copied off the net to give everyone an idea of what kind of camo i was talking about. Yea. I like the camo variety but not sure if i can pull it oof. Thanks, Bil

If you look at the painting info in Clives Corner, you'll find chapter and verse about what was applied, when and why.

DBG looks very good if the panels are straight but the gloss will show up any imperfections (my civvy 110 is micametallic and I keep it dirty to hide all the wobbly panels :schocked:) All the galvanised bits like the windscreen and cappings should be bare metal.

Cammo hides a multitude of sins and is very easy to patch up. The matt finish fades badly but a 5l tin will keep you in resprays for about 5 years! You can get satin finish while not correct for age of vehicle is more durable.

The cammed up one you posted is overdone IMHO. Just spray whole thing green and then apply broad band of black (matt out of a spray or blackboard paint) accross corners and band in middle. Should be 2/3 green 1/3 black.

For more examples look in EMLRA garage

Go to your Happy Place Tony.........and if you're in Tesco's car park you are assiciating with an evil retail machine dedicated to global domination anyway

(according to our local vicar)

My 80" was DBG but both look great depends if you know original history/service as to how it might have been I suppose.

It's the pills Dave, there still in the post :shake: Deep Bronze Green, good old LR1 does look good. There were some very nice Parade Light weights used by the Honourable Artillery Company to tow Parade 25 pounder's. That would be a hell of a combination at a show. Keep you up all hours with the Auto glym and Brasso.

The cammed up one you posted is overdone IMHO. Just spray whole thing green and then apply broad band of black (matt out of a spray or blackboard paint) accross corners and band in middle. Should be 2/3 green 1/3 black.

For more examples look in EMLRA garage

I agree with this apart from the first sentence. It looks absolutely right to me, even if it doesn't conform to standards. Take the loop of black coming up from the wheel arch over the door off and there is an awful lot of bare green, but it would be very close to the spec.

Paint jobs, particularly resprays, would be done by individual drivers and I can well imagine this little chance at artistic licence being jumped upon. It certainly did in our regiment when we had to strip and respray everything with IRR paint.

I read an interesting paragraph in the proof version of Armoured Farmer - A Tankie's Tale (it isn't in the shops yet: I was proof-reading it for the author). I think it was 1987 and the 70th anniversary of the Royal Tank Regiment - something like that and for the only time since the Great War, the entire Royal Tank Regiment (at the time four tank regiments, 1 to 4 - its a nomenclature thing) were in the same theatre, so 3 RTR, The Armoured Farmers of the book title, based at Barker Barracks Paderborn, hosted a grand parade with HM the Queen taking the salute. The author made the point that every tank (some Chieftain, some Challenger) was made serviceable and painted with identical cam for the sake of the parade. Then after the parade, they were all resprayed to randomise the cam, otherwise the cam would become a recognition feature.

• 2 weeks later...

There were some very nice Parade Light weights used by the Honourable Artillery Company to tow Parade 25 pounder's. That would be a hell of a combination at a show.

Tony,

I actually built those HAC Lightweights. You should have seen them before we started, they were the roughest bunch that could be found, with numerous layers of IRR on them. the effort was worth it though. When they were eventually disposed of, one appeared at Beltring on the EMLRA display, but unfortunately, I never got to find the owner.

Tony,

I actually built those HAC Lightweights. You should have seen them before we started, they were the roughest bunch that could be found, with numerous layers of IRR on them. the effort was worth it though. When they were eventually disposed of, one appeared at Beltring on the EMLRA display, but unfortunately, I never got to find the owner.

You mean these ones :-D

hac38.jpg

The Ceremonial Lightweight Land Rovers

49HG62 47HG68 84KB49 23HF82 24HF07

When new, these 5 vehicles were put into service with 4th Royal Green Jackets, but when the Honourable Artillery Company needed replacement ceremonial Land Rovers in 1988, the Lightweight was no longer available new.

Therefore these 5 were selected for "Refurbishment to Ceremonial standard", and the work was carried out at the 44 district workshop R.E.M.E in September 1988. Each vehicle bears a plaque and an entry in their service record.

Along with the ceremonial 25-pounder guns these vehicles were kept in a modern purpose built heated garage which was opened by the Captain general of the HAC, Her Majesty the Queen in 1996.

True to British army tradition, this warranted a second refurbishment of the Lightweights, which this time was carried out by ABRO (Army Base Repair Organisation), Ashford, during January 1996, again each vehicle bears a plaque to confirm the work was completed, and an entry into the service record.

Each vehicle retains their unique "Ceremonial" features such as, Gloss (Deep Bronze Green) paintwork, Gloss Black chassis, Front and rear chrome bumpers, chrome grill, hubs and wheel nuts painted white, White seats and wheel covers, later model light lenses and door mirrors, as well as the "HAC" front sign boards, and original HAC crests on the doors.

For more information on the "HAC" - please visit their own home page: Honourable Artillery Company

All 5 vehicles have now been sold, and have gone mainly to private collectors.

http://www.landrovercentre.com/Interesting_vehicles/guntroop/Ceremonial-Lightweights.htm

Edited by Marmite!!
Photo link repaired

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...