Gerard from Lincolnshire. New Member

WOMBLE

Great to be part of the HMVF community. I have a Dodge WC51 - just purchased and in the process of being stripped down. It was in UK military markings, specifically 11th armoured division. Does anyone know if these markings are authentic as I would like to re-apply them when I'm finished. If not, does anyone have any info on British markings for the Dodge?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions

Cheers All and Happy Christmas

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

Edited by WOMBLE

Welcome in, many years ago I got my WC51 from the same place, she was in the same markings but of the Gaurds 7th armoured, because the previous owner's Father had served in that regoiment . I haven't found eviedence that 11th Armoured used them, but then I changed mine to Force 135 the unit that liberated the Channel Islands, and they didn't use them anyway. :-D What's the chassis number, and dimensions of the cab would be useful to me, I'm getting a bit to old for open cab in winter. :shake:

I do have a number of pictures of British Dodges.

1546.jpg

traff2.JPG

far east.JPG

Great to be part of the HMVF community. I have a Dodge WC51 - just purchased and in the process of being stripped down. It was in UK military markings, specifically 11th armoured division. Does anyone know if these markings are authentic as I would like to re-apply them when I'm finished. If not, does anyone have any info on British markings for the Dodge?

I would be very grateful for any suggestions

Cheers All and Happy Christmas

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121672[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]121673[/ATTACH]

Hi womble and welcome to the forum. I also have a WC51 I notice you have a set of doors on yours, did they come with the dodge. I need some for mine, is there any makers mark on them.

Cheers Steve.

Welcome in, many years ago I got my WC51 from the same place, she was in the same markings but of the Gaurds 7th armoured, because the previous owner's Father had served in that regoiment . I haven't found eviedence that 11th Armoured used them, but then I changed mine to Force 135 the unit that liberated the Channel Islands, and they didn't use them anyway. :-D What's the chassis number, and dimensions of the cab would be useful to me, I'm getting a bit to old for open cab in winter. :shake:

I do have a number of pictures of British Dodges.

Thanks for these. I think I'll give up on the brit. WC. The Z serial seems authentic though. My serial is 81598205. The cab is comfy with the Winter kit but I really plan on using her in Summer so it has come off. I've no idea where the doors came from, but Dallas Auto may know. Once again, thanks for your efforts. I'll measure the cab.

Edited by WOMBLE

Z was the British prefix for 15 cwt-3/4 ton vehicles. However, always a however, the American's use a short ton of 2000 ilb whilist the Imperial ton is 2, 240 lbs. So the max theoretical load of a British truck is 1680lbs, whilst the rated max load of a Dodge , from manual is 1500 lbs including driver and assitant. On a more practical level, put mine over a rated weigh bridge with canvas and fuel tank full, no load and got 2,400 kg. The other oddity is that British trucks seem to have pionner tols on the inside of the tailgate. Allows for full opening but can be a nusiance for load.

815-9 suggests a date of late 1942.

Edited by Tony B

Hi WOMBLE, if ever you decide you want to sell your doors to your dodge can I have first refusal. Cheers Steve.

Steve,

you're on. I'm certain I won't be using them.

I'll let you know when I've finished her (end Jan)

Cheers

Gerard

Steve,

you're on. I'm certain I won't be using them.

I'll let you know when I've finished her (end Jan)

Cheers

Gerard

Cheers Gerard, really appreciate that. I must say that looking at your dodge from the photo it doesn't look like it needs to much in the way of restoration. I notice your up in Lincolnshire, I will be going to a few shows there next year i.e. Dunchurch, The Yorkshire Experience Show and the Victory Show so will have to meet up if your at any of those. My dodge will be going to all.

HuH! You got that request in quick! :mad:

Sorry Tony are you after a set as well. Been using my dodge in all weathers and I must say driving it in the pouring rain is not the best of fun although when in a convoy it is an emotional drive through the villages with the public cheering and waving. Just makes you think what the young G.I.s must have felt when liberating the towns and villagers overseas.

Sorry Tony are you after a set as well. Been using my dodge in all weathers and I must say driving it in the pouring rain is not the best of fun although when in a convoy it is an emotional drive through the villages with the public cheering and waving. Just makes you think what the young G.I.s must have felt when liberating the towns and villagers overseas.

Yeah back in the day when we were young,... and used that as an excuse to be stupid. Funny how now you see me driving the WC54 with a roof (And heater) whilist Number One Son has the WC51. Still he wants a Series Land Rover back, I'll stick with the Disco. :-D