Transporting Bren Gun Carriers

REME 245

I have been considering purchasing a 7.5 ton winch equipped transporter to move my Carrier about.

An unladen carrier weighs between 3.5 to 3.75 ton, so providing the truck itself does not weigh in excess of half its gross weight, it should be ok.

Does anyone have any experience / comments on the suitability of such a truck?

How much is the annual tax and testing for such a vehicle?

7.5 tons GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) can be taxed PLG at £165. They do need a plate not an MOT. Trouble is allowing for greatest weight of carrier at 4 tons, that only allows 3.5 tons for the rest of the vehicle, might be pushing it.Check your licence, it may be better to go the trailer way as you are allowed a train weight of 8.25 tons. Its C1+ E catergory.

The C1+E catagory does allow a train weight of 8.25 tons but this won't help as it only gives you a trailer weight of 750 kg gross.

Your 7.5 ton truck would need to be light enough to carry the carrier and still remain under 7.5 tons. This weight also includes a full tank of fuel, crew tools etc. Most 7.5 ton beavertail type trucks are going to be around 4 tons unladen but I have seen it done.

Running privately, you are unlikely to be stopped and weighed but that would be the risk you take.

If you have an HGV licence, you can get a larger truck and then you have no problem. Still a plate and test and private HGV tax (is this still going?)

Thanks for the replies.

I do have a HGV Licence but obviously I did not want to buy anything larger than I had to.

I have heard of people using trailers before, but you obviously you then have to buy and store two items of equipment. The legality in some cases is also questionable.

A privatley owned HGV still has, up to now, normal road tax PLG. Ask Paul with the TM (MMVG), he should fill you in. Land Rover and Bedford did a Light weight Artic unit. Anyone know waht the sit rep is American type Swan neck hitches. they can take a hell of a weight.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend used to have a Bedford TK for transporting his Windsor carrier, and was within 7.5 gross. A Windsor would be bit heavier than a Universal Carrier. The TK was a 7.5 ton GVW cab / chassis, with a purpose built body, built as a skeleton with no unnecessary decking, etc. Now, modern 7.5 ton trucks are built a lot lighter than the old TK, with disc brakes, etc, eliminating heavy brake drums, so would give you a better margin for payload. A Leyland DAF 45 would be a typical choice.

Unfortunately the newer the truck the more expensive.

For my purposes I ideally need the previous owner to prove the unladen weight of the truck by putting it on a weight bridge. I assume most beavertail trucks have been converted from standard trucks and the owners would not normally know the new weight of their vehicle.

I note there is a Ford Cargo version being advertised local to me. Quite what the spares backup for these vehicles is I do not know.

To put a Windsor Carrier on a Bedford TK the cargo body must have been seriously lightened as you mention.

To put a Windsor Carrier on a Bedford TK the cargo body must have been seriously lightened as you mention.

This was not an ex-army TK, they are too heavy, it was a 7.5 ton, with the 16" wheels, similar to those used for horseboxes. The body as I explained was built especially for the carrier and was skeleton construction with basically two ramps, to cut down unneccesary weight. The whole outfit loaded came within 7.5 tons, a Windsor weighing in at around 4 tons or just over.

• 1 month later...